We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Santa Monica...
8 posts
Save Topic
Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Hello,

In two weeks, I will be traveling to the Cottswolds without a car. I need advice to determine how close I need to be to Heathrow to make my return flight home. I will stay 3 nights in Chipping Campden in the Cottswolds. I thought it would be safest to to travel to Oxford on the 4th day to be closer to Heathrow for my flight on the 5th day at 2:55pm. I am having difficulty determining distances and travel time between points. Could I make a 2:55pm flight if I travel directly from Chipping Campden to Heathrow? Any other suggestions for a place to stay on the day before a flight? I am interested in seeing Oxford, but open to other ideas. I am a bit concerned about missing an international flight, so I am being cautious. Hotel suggestions would be appreciated also.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

If I were in your position, I would not travel from the Cotswolds the day of a flight out of Heathrow--especially when you don't have a car.

One option to consider is traveling to Windsor the day before. It is 20 minutes by cab from Heathrow.

You will need to be at the airport at about noon the day you leave.

Santa Monica...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Thank you very much for this information. I will look at transport to Windsor and hotel availability. Is there a best part of Windsor to stay in for walking around town?

Edited: 12:41 am, July 02, 2013
Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
480 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

If you stayed in Oxford the night before your flight you'd have no problems getting to Oxford. We have The Airline bus, which is a very comfortable ride from Oxford to Heathrow's central bus station (terminals 1-2-3) and terminal 5 (with easy access to terminal 4). You can catch the bus from various points around the city. See their website for more detail. http://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/

Santa Monica...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Thank you very much for this information. I will look at transport to Windsor and hotel availability. Is there a best part of Windsor to stay in for walking around town?

Edited: 3:13 am, July 02, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Is there a best part of Windsor to stay in for walking around town?

============

Anywhere in the centre is fine, but some hotels have Windsor in their name when they are literally miles away so you do need to be careful. Have a look on the hotel website, you should be able to determine how central it is, and then ask here for confirmation.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Oxford is plenty close enough and the airline bus is very reliable.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

I regularly leave the Cotswolds (with or without a car) no more than 3.5 hours before LHR flights depart

With all respect to Laura RW, who's usually pretty sensible, suggesting you travel a few miles "the day before" is utterly doolally. As, frankly, is suggesting you faff about going to Oxford first. Like suggesting you always carry a shotgun, in case a bear gets in your way.

For a 1455 flight, from Chipping C I'd be on the 1049 train from Moreton, either getting the airbus from Reading or changing at Slough and Hayes for the Heathrow Connect. It'll be full of other people getting mid-afternoon flights from Heathrow.

All of whom choose to live here precisely because we can run global businesses from here without having to resort to absurdly complicated ways of getting intercontinental planes.

Santa Monica...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Thank you for the information. It would be ideal to spend another day in the Cotswalds. I am concerned about making close connections and missing my flight. Your description sounds easy enough. Do I need to reserve seats on the train and airbus?

Edited: 11:49 am, July 02, 2013
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Just to caution that transatlantic flights require a 3 hour check-in ( a US requirement) so you would need to be at LHR 3 hours before your departure. That said, I agree with Flanner that it is all easily doable from the Cotswolds on the morning of your departure.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

With all due respect to Flanneruk, who loves to throw caution to the wind when it is someone else's flight, the 10:49 train from Moreton in Marsh would arrive at Heathrow at 13:05, so two hours before your flight.

Do you have bags to check? Will you be able to check in on-line beforehand?

Speaking for myself, I have almost missed a flight out of Heathrow even when I got there the full three hours in advance. No one can predict bag check, security lines, or how far it will be to your terminal.

Changing gears, if you wanted to stay in Windsor, knowing your budget would be helpful. The MacDonald is currently the most popular, and sits across from Windsor Castle, but as Joe rightly cautions, many hotels stick "Windsor" in the title and are not anywhere near.