We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out in Oxford

somerset12
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day out in Oxford

Hello i am a single lady just wanting to visit Oxford for the day. I have decided to travel by coach from the south west where as my journey will end at the bus station. Just a few questions:-

Is it easy to walk from the bus station to the main historical attractions ? (BIG MORSE & LEWIS FAN).

This will be on a Sunday are attractions places to eat and tour buses open? I love photography.

Any advise for my day out ?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day out in Oxford

Well the bus station is right in the centre, so you'll be a few minutes walk from the key sights. I'm not a Morse/Lewis follower so can't comment specifically on those, although I have seen them filming for Lewis on Broad Street. If you come out of the bus garage onto George Street, turn left and keep going, you'll come to Broad Street where you may recognise scenes from the series. There are also some colleges in Broad Street. The Bodlian Library is at the end of Broad Street with a good view of the Bridge of Sighs from the grounds. Walk past the Radcliffe Camera towards the High Street, where there are more colleges and historic buildings. St Aldates at the end of High Street has Christ Church with the cathedral and other famous sights. If the weather's nice a walk round Christ Church Meadow is always pleasant.

There's loads more you could do and no doubt there will be a Morse/Lewis officianado who will be able to help you further.

Have a look at a street map, such as this, www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php… to help you plan. Enjoy your cisit.

Angie

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day out in Oxford

Assuming your bus stop is Gloucester Green central bus station, it is approximately 2 minutes walk to Cornmarket street where all the shops are, and the Morse Bar at the Randolf hotel (not sure which other places are associated with Morse I'm afraid).

Oxford is small. It is unlikely you want to visit anywhere that is not within walking distance of the bus station. Is there any specific sight you want to visit?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day out in Oxford

Take a look at this webcam. It shows the Randolph Hotel. The bus station is about two minutes walk from there. Oxford is a very compact city and you should be able to wander round and find lots of photo opportunities.

http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera1.cfm

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day out in Oxford

Just to answer your other question - tour buses run on Sunday and most places are open. There might be a random place closed (a college for example) but as a previous poster mentioned if you have specific places in mind we can assist further.

somerset12
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day out in Oxford

Thankyou all so very much for your helpfull advice :)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day out in Oxford

Yes the tour buses do run Saturdays, I believe it's either been re-launched or re branded as Guide Friday, which are bright green newish double deckers and in fact may leave from a stand in Gloucster Green bus station itself.

On your way into town, you might like to look at the cafe at the old fire station on the main road almost opposite Wetherspoons, heading out of town on the right hand side for cofeee, it's run by a charity which provides work experince / training courses for disadvantaged people, and they do good good coffee, and good looking cakes. I've been in there once and I'm trying to remember it's there as they are friendly and very helpful people there.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day out in Oxford

" ... tour buses ... may leave from a stand in Gloucster Green bus station itself."

Yes. Last month, arriving at Stand 13 (12?) from Swindon, I noticed tickets being sold for the HOHO bus at the next (very end) stand.

8. Re: Day out in Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2014