We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Stonehenge

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Stonehenge

Hello- we are travelling to Oxford and will be there for a couple of days with a family of 2 young children ( 7 &5 ) we would like to tour Stonehenge, Salisbury. Apart from Cotswald Roaming are there any other small personal touring companies that can take us there? We are theere from May 5-8th.

Thanks very much for your help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Hi Madmadgal

There is another company, Absolute Touring, that also does very similar tours to Cotswold Roaming. I have used both companies, Cotswold Roaming in 2010 and Absolute Touring in January this year. I would highly recommend both of them.

We actually just hired a driver to take us to Stonehenge, but we did it from London. I am sure you could do the same from Oxford. We really didn't need a guide, as the audio tour is so good.

Have fun

Deb

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Just drive yourself.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

joeintheuk, sometimes when you are on holidays it is nice to both be able to look out the windows at the scenery, or to both have a couple of glasses of wine with lunch. When you travel from Australia, the tickets and hotels are so expensive, the small amount on a driver or private tour is a drop in the ocean!

Deb

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Joe has a point, however, with 2 small children, a long tour in a minibus might not be a great idea. Far better to hire a car so you can stop when you want to.

Since the Op is staying in Oxford, I would be far more inclined to take the kids for a ride on a punt at Cherwell Boathouse, take them to the OU Natural History museum which has some great exhibits for kids, as does the Pitt Rivers Museum (both are in the same building and are free) or take the 30 min bus ride to Woodstock to visit Blenheim Palace which has terrific activities for the kids - maze, miniature train, butterfly house, fantastic grounds to run around in etc etc. Woodstock itself is a pretty Cotswolds town so that's one "must-see" (hateful word) ticked off the list. I really don't see that they'd get much out of being dragged round Salisbury and Stonehenge when there are more interesting activities on the doorstep.

http://www.blenheimpalace.com/

http://www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk/index.php?page=cherwell+boathouse+introduction

http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/

www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

djh1 you make a good point, but I think flexibility especially with young children is a good reason to DIY it, and also be able to take rest stops wherever and whenever.

I"m in two minds about what Poollounger says, I think the kids would certainly enjoy their suggested itinerary *far* more than stonehenge/salisbury and maybe the parents would therefore enjoy it more also.

But OTOH why do adults always have to do everything for the benefit of the kids and not themselves, if its a lifetime wish for the parents to visit Stonehenge lets say, why not do it, it cant always be all about the kids.

I'll let the parents sort that one out :-)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
957 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Apparently the average visit length to Stonehenge is 20 minutes as in reality there's not that much to see - so given the time it will take to get there and back suspect Poolounger has a point!

Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Thanks so much for the information. I guess Stonehenge is for me :) and not for the kids :) I am planning on taking them OU Natural History and Pitt River museum the next day :) The problem is the day we want to go to Stonehenge is May 7th and it is a banking holiday so no rental cars :( I will check out Absolute Touring - any recommendations on hiring a driver to take us there?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

joe, I agree with the DIY, that is exactly why we hire private drivers or use a company such as Absolute Touring or Cotwold Roaming. We didn't do an organised tour with them but private ones, so that we could go where we want when we want. It is a little more expensive, but in our case our kids are older so would have been full price on any tour so it is not that bad.

We actually went to Stonehenge on the request of our son, he desperately wanted to see it. As I was born in the UK I have seen it plenty of times! We were there for a surprising 90 minutes, because the audio tour was so interesting we spent a long time walking around.

Madmadgal, you can book a private tour with Absolute Touring, which means you get to choose the itinerary. It does cost more, but totally worth it if you can stretch the budget.

Deb

9. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:54 pm, November 23, 2015
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Stonehenge

Having looked briefly at car hire in Oxford, renting a small 3 door car which is big enough for 2 adults + 2 kids for 3 days from Sat midday to Tues midday will cost you £67 (plus a few pounds for child seat hire). Let's imagine it's £100 all-in including car seat hire and fuel. That's still way cheaper than a private car and driver and gives you the felxibility to go wherever you fancy for those 3 days. Have a look at Thrifty car rental - but there are plenty of others

Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations