We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip help

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Willamette Valley
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
day trip help

I asked this question in london forum and then realized I should have asked here.

my family of 4, 2 adults and kids will be 9 and 11 at time, are taking a day trip from king cross area on a Saturday in August. I want to see some Harry Potter sites but have fell in love with Oxford from Inspector Lewis. I want to see some beautiful streets, colleges, and go punting.

Can you all help me figure out things to see and do.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip help

www.oxfordcity.co.uk/info/visitors.html

Edited: 12:52 pm, March 31, 2012
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,552 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip help

Hi deelouise

Oxford is quite compact and you will be able to see all the things you mention quite easily. If you walk down the High Street to Magdelen Bridge you can hire a punt from there and you will also see some colleges on the way. The Ashmolean Museum is worth a visit which is opposite the Randolph Hotel where Morse has been filmed.

Get a map and just wander round.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
437 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip help

There is the morse and Lewis tour organised by the tourist board. Go to the visitoxford website for information

Willamette Valley
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip help

Thank you

Willamette Valley
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip help

Thank you

reading
Level Contributor
10 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip help

As I grew up in Henley on Thames and went to college at Oxford I know it pretty well . In fact I was there 2 days ago like you I love Morse/ Lewis, the Locations are all over oxfordshire. For a direhard Fan the trout in at Wolvercote has been used many times and is worth a visit. Punts can be hired from Magdalen bridge pronounced Maudlin (nutty local differences I am afraid), but it can be difficult to get the hang of , and the oxford Botanic gardens are next door and worth a visit. There are also boat trips from I think Folly Bridge. The randolph hotel in the centre near st giles is worth a look, as is the covered market that is over a hundred years old. As regards museums, The Ashmolean is good, I also love the victorian splendour of the natural History and Pitt River if you like eccentric places it has an ecclectic mix of exhibits including shrunken heads yuk! Finally I would say surprisingly the oxford goal is very good as the views of oxford from the tower are fantastic. If you prefer more location based places I can give more detail. By the way there is a train service from london Paddington to Oxford roughly every 30 mins also the Oxford Tube (coach) runs from london,but the view of the motorway is not as scenic .good luck!

7. Re: day trip help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 19, 2013