We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

My husband and I are staying at The Old Bank next week. We really like informal, bistro type places to eat or even good pub food. Are there places that any of you could recommend near to the hotel (walking distance)?

Thanks a lot

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

We just stayed there a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the pub food and the Turf Tavern. We also ate at the Mitre which is two minutes away, but not quite as atmospheric as the Turf. Here is a link to the reviews on here:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

We really enjoyed a meal at Loch Fyne seafood restaurant as well. We walked there but it is not quite as close as the other two.

Deb

Edited: 8:16 pm, January 17, 2012
London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

The Turf is definitely decent. I'd stay away from the Kings Arms across from the Bod.

Personally, for day times, I tend to gravitate to the Head of the River esp when its sunny. Good pub food and great views!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

That's great. Thanks to both of you :)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
981 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

The Mitre/Beefeater (High Street) is worth a look if you are into that type of food.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

The Pizza Express at the Golden Cross (on Cornmarket, next to the Covered Market) serves the same food as any other, but the 15th c. building it is located in is rather splendid. A bit more of a hike (about 12mins walk, at the top of St.Giles) is Browns, which is a brasserie I like, and you will find a selection of restaurants in Little Clarendon St, just before you reach Browns on the left. If 12mins feels like a long way, stop in the Eagle & Child in St.Giles (favourite haunt of Tolkien and CS Lewis) for a drink on the way there, and back.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

Oh yeah...per PoolLounger suggestion, Eagle & Child - across from St John's College. It is slightly further away from Old Bank but you are likely to walk that way if you are going to the Ashmolean. Decent grub but a good pint for sure.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

Thank you all, very helpful.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

I can confirm that the E&C does good pub food. A favourite of mine that I would wholeheartedly recommend is the Nosebag. It's certainly not a pub, but I think it would count as a bistro ("a small restaurant serving moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting"). See its website: http://www.nosebagoxford.co.uk. Excellent food, very affordable prices, and a good atmosphere. Probably my favourite place to eat in Oxford.

Now, I appreciate that I am not actually answering your question, but answering the question I would have liked you to ask... But if you could go beyond walking distance (quite a long way beyond walking distance) then I would certainly recommend the Trout in Lower Wolvercote, as seen in the Morse episode The Wolvercote Tongue: http://www.thetroutoxford.co.uk.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

Hi jonathanquinn - you reckon the Trout still does a good spread? Its a nice pub but I think the food standard have dropped - last time I went there, was completely disappointed with the quality of cooking and ingredients that I have not been back since esp with the change in ownership - at least thats what i recalled - i reckon a few years now...

nevertheless, a nice walk with a nice pint at the end...not sure about the food unless you have been there more recently than me and that things have changed...

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bistro / good pub meal near to The Old Bank

No, sorry, I have not been there at all recently. Probably slightly more recently than Detective Chief Inspector Morse, but only slightly. I remember the food as being pretty good, but that is a recollection from some years ago. If the food has declined in quality maybe it is somewhere to bear in mind for a walk and a drink rather than a meal. Maybe others have been there more recently and can report otherwise. The other great place for a walk and a drink is the Perch, but that may have changed too!