We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking unique dining experience

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Seeking unique dining experience

My family and I will be in Oxford for only one afternoon/evening in May and we are looking for a unique/interesting place to have dinner. This will be our first day in England. We enjoy most types of food, but are not that into extra fine dining. I have looked at several of the websites for Oxford, but they really don't give the details that I was looking for.

Is there someplace that stands apart from the crowd in a good way?

I have read a bit about Malmaison. It sounds promising, being housed in an old prison. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with them, or someplace similar.

Stratford-upon-Avon, Cotswolds...
1,295 Reviews
from $135.10*
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,027 Reviews
from $83.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access...
112 Reviews
from $170.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Oxford and Harry Potter Warner Bros...
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

My favourite Bangladeshi restaurant is Aziz on the Cowley Road. In fact, alot of diverse ethnic food can be found up on that street, but for a good meal you'll find Aziz listed quite highly in the Good Curry Guide.

Mentioned in this post
Aziz
Aziz
258 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

If you don't mind the expense, you will be near to one of the premier restaurants in Britain -

Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

www.manoir.com/web/olem/olem_a2a_home.jsp

Jane

x

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

For a unique dining experience, your not gonna beat dining on a narrowboat!

http://www.rosamundthefair.co.uk/

it'll cost ya but apparently v nice

Old Parsonage, Gees also decent.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll look into these. The narrowboats would have been the most fun, but we would miss our concert doing that one. Maybe next time.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
486 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

Think about trying The Big Bang restaurant. They serve only bangers (sausages) and mash (with veggie sausage options as well). They won an award in The UK Best Dishes Awards competition held by the catering bible Restaurant Magazine for having the finest Bangers and Mash dish in Britain. Check out the website at http://www.thebigbangoxford.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
The Big Bang
The Big Bang
238 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

if the weather is nice, a great option is the Cherwell Boathouse, on the river in north oxford - you could go for a punt and then come back to a nice meal by the riverside. see www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk for details.

Of course if it was warm and sunny, Oxford has lots of super delicatessens, so you could get nice nice bread, cheese and wine (and cakes from Raymond Blancs bakery at St Giles), hire a punt and have a late afternoon picnic, perhaps followed by a drink at the Victoria Arms, further up the river, then back to the Cherwell boathouse to return your punt.

Mentioned in this post
Cherwell Boathouse
Cherwell Boathouse
59 Reviews
Oxford, UK
The Victoria Arms
The Victoria Arms
438 Reviews
Oxford, UK
morgan hill, ca
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

in the city centre is a great spanish restaurant called la plaza that has fantastic paella

Oxford,UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking unique dining experience

The Malmaisson is truly a historic place to eat in Oxford City.