We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

We will be visiting Oxford this coming summer and I am having a hard time choosing accommodations.

We will be spending four nights in Oxford before we leave our 2 daughters for a month-long summer program. One daughter will be taking classes at Corpus Christi College and the other daughter will be attending Pembroke and/or Oriel Colleges.

We are not planning to rent a car. For our hotel for these four nights, we will need a double and a triple room that is located near these colleges.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

I have one suggestion, but there are other central hotels.

You will probably need a suite and a double/twin.

Any central hotel is within easy walking distance.

Most of the older colleges are in a compact walking area.

http://www.oldbank-hotel.co.uk/rooms/

OR

what about you all staying in an Oxford University college on a B&B basis?

University terms are quite short and rooms are available in the vacation.

One daughter is attending a summer school, we assume?

I found your family requirement in Keble College without difficulty for July 2012.

See:-

www.oxfordrooms.co.uk/book/advanced.aspx

A unique experience.

Regards

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Thank you so much. I had tried booking but it seems there are no rooms available at any of the colleges for June 28. We could stay somewhere else and then move to Keble after the first night, but we would prefer not to have to do this. Although, we would love to eat breakfast "great hall" style!

Yes, both daughters will be attending summer classes. We are just coming with them until their terms start.

I am wondering if there is something going on at Oxford until June 29? Are there any other websites that you know of that may have more college accommodations available? I can't find any.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Hello again,

Trinity term ( summer semester ) finishes in June, but it is followed by University Open Days for prospective undergraduates. There are also some alumni dinners and reunions because the colleges are still functioning and students are still living there.

Then comes the availability for other guests in July and August and the summer schools which you now know well.

The site I suggested is the sole agency.

Not all colleges are involved at present. It's a newish concept for them.

You are early enough to secure somewhere, but only you have the dates.

I suggest you might stay in an hotel and then a college depending on your flexibility on flights and so on.

http://www.oldparsonage-hotel.co.uk/

You should, we suggest, ring or email all hotels directly to negotiate inter-connecting rooms and bed requirements.

Sorry if that sounds like granny and eggs, but most agency websites are usually USA based anyhow.

booking.com, laterooms and the others.

One hotel group has an Oxford hotel near to your target area.

accorhotels.com/gb/…room.shtml

Hopefully there should be other advisors appearing shortly.

Re-post if no joy at first. You have plenty of time, but better to be assured.

We remind you that Oxford is an hour from London by rail.

You are travelling before the Olympics.

Regards again

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Hi,

Just published today in UK's Daily Telegraph national newspaper.

Several current links on the menu bar.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/uk/50478/…

Regards

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Thanks for the great link.

Since we can't stay at Keble College when we first arrive in Oxford, we are going to stay in a hotel the first 2 nights and then move to a 2 bedroom dorm suite overlooking the square at Keble College for the last 2 nights. I think this will be a good solution.

I appreciate all the help!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

Good result.

7. Re: Accommodations for family of 5 near these colleges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, June 22, 2013