We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon in Oxford

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon in Oxford

Greetings all, We will be visiting England in late May for the first time. I thought I had all our plans carefully made and then I researched just a little to much and found a concert I couln't resist. So now on our very first day in London, we will be taking the Megabus to Oxford ;).

We would be arriving in Oxford on Saturday, around 2PM maybe and our concert is at 8PM at the New Theatre Oxford. Our group is 2 adults and a 10-year old. Would you have any suggested sites for us to see in such a short time. We would like to have dinner somewhere in there also. The Gloucester Arms caught my attention with the mention of scrumpy cider, but I could not verify that they allow children on the premises.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I know it gets tiresome answering the same questions over and over, but your toil is greatly appreciated.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon in Oxford

Try the town tour bus - it gives a good overview of the town and you can always get oof and visit any sight you really like the look of.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon in Oxford

The Gloucester Arms is a great place to be if you like to play air guitar to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird or a bit of AC/DC or Zep. Heavily bearded locals prop up the bar whilst motorbikes fiercly rev up outside. I doubt a ten year old would be allowed in there, I'm afraid. 'Afraid' being the operative word when I accidentally spill the pint of some tattooed man-mountain inside the bar!! Other pubs in Oxford serve scrumpy cider too.

Most of Oxford's colleges open up to the public at 2pm and some of them are free of charge to visit, namely Jesus, Merton, Exeter, St Johns and Lincoln. Others charge, for example Magdalen, Balliol, Trinity and the Harry Potter filmed Christ Church which also contains Oxford's cathedral. Sadly, the Divinity School and Bodlien Library is closed to visitors Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday. This was also used in the Harry Potter films.

Try one of Oxford's free museums, like the Ashmolean for art and archeology or the University Museum for fossils and dinosaur skeletons or the adjacent Pitt-Rivers for anthropology including masks, shaved teeth and shrunken skulls!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon in Oxford

Thanks for the replys.

aardvark - the bus sounds like a good idea.

henneth - whew, glad I asked. I'll seek another more calm and child friendly location. Sound's like you are quite an ELO fan also, you should come out to the show ;). It might be ELO part2, but that's still pretty good. I'll do some research on those museums. I'm sure my little Harry Potter fan will enjoy anything with ties to it.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon in Oxford

I had completely fogotten to mention New College where the more recent Harry Potter movies were filmed. It'll be open when you are visiting and I think it charges about £2 admission. You'll recognise the cloisters and dining hall from Hogwart's School.