We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stag weekend in Oxford?

Leeds
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stag weekend in Oxford?

Hi everyone, I am planing to have my stag weekend in March next year and am considering having it in Oxford. I live in Leeds and was thinking of either Oxford or Brighton, but Oxford is the easiest to get to. Therefore, Oxford may be the best option.

I fancy something a bit different to the norm, but somewhere with good nightlife, decent bars and clubs, and a friendly atmosphere. The group will be mainly high 20's and low 30's and I would personally like somewhere with good music, probably indie / rock but pretty open-minded.

Additionally, I would like something to do through the day and had an idea of trying to organise a stag boat race for a laugh!

What I need to know is if you would recommend Oxford as a stag location. I need to ensure that my stag is in a quality location. Also, if there were any ideas for good bars / clubs or daytime activities.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

I must admit that Oxford is not the first place to spring to mind for a classic stag - but there is still fun to be had.

For indie/rock, the O2 Acadamy on Cowley Road has Propaganda/Trashy/Room 101 on Saturday nights:

www.o2academyoxford.co.uk/Search/List…

The Cowley Road is also great for Indian/Bangladeshi food. Also a range of pubs or bars.

If you want to do something to do with boats, contact The Falcon Canoe Club. They should be able to sort something out for you:

http://www.falconrcc.co.uk/

If you want to go to some of the historic Oxford pubs then you need to be in the city centre/colleges area. Oxford is a compact city though so it is only a walk/short bus ride to Cowley Road.

Feel free to ask about anything more specific.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Leeds
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Thank you for the information, looking forward to it.

Leeds
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Hi,

Just another question!

We have got a restaurant, hotel, five-a-side football and the O2 organised for the Sat night.

We just need to get a club sorted for the Friday and have heard that the Bridge is good. Do you recommend this club or would you say that somewhere else would be better on a Friday?

Been looking at a few bars and Raoul's looks good, any other good suggestions. Anywhere with a friendly atmosphere, not cheesy and good music!!!

Thanks

D

Mentioned in this post
Raoul's
Raoul's
169 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

The Bridge is good if you're keen for quite a young crowd on the WKDs. It's nothing like the O2 on a Saturday, if that's the sort of vibe you're going for. I'd go for Thirst Lodge, it's just around the back of the the Bridge - much more intimate, better music (no cheese, more hip hop/dance) and a really nice garden/court yard out the back. It really depends on your mood though. I don't really like any of the clubs/bars down on Park End Street, but that's just my taste.

There's a comedy club in that area, which might be better if you're planning a big smash on Saturday night aswell?

As for bars beforehand, again it depends what you're after. There's so many decent pubs in Oxford that you really don't need to head to bars. Unless of course that's what you're after. For you Saturday night there's plenty of decent bars on Cowley Road; Cafe Tarifa, Cape of Good Hope, Cafe Baba, to name a few.

So, I'd say Friday; explore Oxford's brilliant pubs followed by a night of stand up comedy, and Saturday, get your cocktail game on down Cowley Road then go to Propaganda or Fuzzy Ducks or whatever it's called at the ZO2diac.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Oxford's Grill
Oxford's Grill
308 Reviews
Oxford, UK
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Hello,

I was just wondering how the stag do went? I am organising one in October, and it would be good to know if you had any advice, particularly for where would be good for 20 lads.

Thanks a lot.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
488 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

A brand new club is opening in Oxford this weekend called The Junction - it's where Kukui used to be. Park End is where all the clubs are located, so if you don't like one, you can bounce around to the others - Bridge, Thirst, Wahoo...

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

I'm thinking of going to Oxford for a stag too.

Any suggestion on accomodation? Most places I've come across don't allow stag parties.

Thanks Jon

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
8. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:59 pm, January 19, 2012
Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Please don't include me in your anti Oxford crusade Jonathonquinn. All I was saying is that Oxford is not the obvious choice for a stag. That is not to say that with a little imagination and planning you could have a perfectly excellent stag.

I certainly would not think of my beautiful hometown, which I love, to be a 'dump' in any way.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?