We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 yr olds in Oxford

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
17 yr olds in Oxford

My son is going to Oxford for the month of july, with a group for school, and I was wondering what there is for him to do besides sneak into pubs and cause trouble.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 yr olds in Oxford

In the city centre there is an ice rink, 3 cinemas, I think there is still a Laser Quest at Gloucester Green. On the outskirts of Oxford there is a Bowlplex at The Kassam Stadium and a Multiplex Cinema. There are usually a few events happening at Oxford Castle. If it is his bag, there is a Modern Art Museum and the Carling Academy on Cowley Road does some under 18 nights.

Personally, I would sneak into pubs and cause trouble!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 yr olds in Oxford

Thank you for the response.

I agree with the pub thing, but i was trying to get him some alternatives so he wont get sent home too soon.

oxon
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 yr olds in Oxford

ID is required to get into city pubs and there is little else for a 17 yo to do in the city in the evenings except to hang about MacDonalds in Cornmarket St where they will be pestered by the winos/beggers/dossers asking for money and trying to sell The Big Issue. 17 year olds have little interest in museums and local architecture, the ice rink is always busy and expensive and a 17 y/o can only go to the cinema so many times. The bowling alley is 5 miles out of the city and costs about 12 pounds by taxi to get there unless they use the bus which involves walking through an estate notorious for mugging vunerble foreign students, joy riders, drugs and prostitution. Many lanquage schools bring students to Oxford, charge huge sums of money, put them in sometimes unsuitable accommodation (although the majority of host families are nice people) and leave them to wander the streets at night unsupervised whilst being prey to muggers and other undesirables.

4. Re: 17 yr olds in Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, September 30, 2009