We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pimm's

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Pimm's

So what the big deal about Pimm's? I heard that it is a very popular Oxford (and England) summer nectar! Any comments?

Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
996 reviews
from $82.10*
Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,268 reviews
from $127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day...
93 reviews
from $169.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio and...
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pimm's

I can confirm that its also quite popular in Scotland and Wales too. I guess its got something to do with its very refreshing nature......hic!

It wouldn't be a British summer without copious amounts of Pimms. With lemonade or Ginger Ale I don't mind which.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimm's

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pimm's

I found out I can buy it here in Canada at my local liquor store. Might give it a go before I am in Oxford next month. Might not taste the same without all the garnishes!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pimm's

Don't worry about the garnishes. The addition of a couple of ice cubes and a good slosh of Canada Dry ginger ale or lemonade (UK lemonade is more like 7 UP or Sprite) is all thats needed.

You just reminded me, my bottle is almost empty :-(

Do give it a try.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pimm's

I might just go out tonight and pick up a bottle! My friends will probably like it more than the other UK product that I grew up on...Marmite!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pimm's

Marmite! Now there's something that polarises opinion. I don't let a day pass without my marmite fix. You're certainly someone with good taste;-)

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pimm's

Well, every time I try to introduce it to my friends here in Canada, they just cringe! Mind you, just opening up to jar and sniffing it does shock the senses! So a Pimm's and Marmite night here might not go over well!

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pimm's

Sorry but Pimms ain't Pimms without all the garnish and to get the full flavour a jug needs to stand for about an hour. Also best served in pint or half pint pots rather than thin glasses.

Marmite-you either love it or hate it there is no in between.

Pimms on the riverbank at Henley during the regatta is the essence of an English summer

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pimm's

Even if you leave out all the fruit it must have a sprig of mint.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pimm's

I just found a bottle at the liquor store. For a 750ml bottle,it was $23 Canadian, or 11.50 Pounds Sterling. Will try it tonight with just Canada Dry. Will let you know what I think!!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,888 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pimm's

Try a sprig of Borage rather than mint, it's supposed to really be the 'done thing'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimm's

http://www2.anyoneforpimms.com/