We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car??

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a car??

My husband and I will be going to Oxford this summer for a friend's wedding, flying into Heathrow. I would prefer not to rent a car but my husband says it's a must. Also our hotel budget is under $200 a night if possible. Any suggestions on either topic? Thanks!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a car??

I am sure there is a coach service from LHR to Oxford, try www.nationalexpress.com

For hotels, Premier Travel Inn, Travelodge or Express by Holiday Inn will give you a very nice, clean hotel within your price range

www.premierinn.com

www.hiexpress.co.uk

www.travelodge.co.uk

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a car??

Thanks for the quick response!! Do we need a car once we get to Oxford or is there public transportation we can use??

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a car??

Depending on where you are staying in Oxford but the station is pretty centre of town. Otherwise, a short taxi ride will not break the bank

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a car??

Thanks again!!

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need a car??

I always take The Airline coach from Heathrow to Oxford (in fact, I did so this morning when returning from a weekend in New York). They are reliable and affordable. www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=23

You shouldn't rent a car for Oxford because Oxford is very difficult to navigate by car. Parking is very difficult and expensive, and there are many streets where cars are forbidden most of the time. We have excellent public transportation, and when in need, plenty of taxis.

The best source of information for people coming to Oxford and needing to know how to get here, how to get around, where to stay, where to eat, what to do, etc. is Oxford City Guide (www.OxfordCityGuide.com).

A new B&B just opened on Broad Street called The Buttery, which looks really interesting and is in a fantastic location. Stay away from any hotel on George Street, bc it gets very noisy. I personally prefer b&bs either in or north of the city rather than on Iffley Road or Cowley, but that's just a personal opinion. Many would disagree I'm sure. If you can afford it, my favourite is the Cotswold Lodge Hotel on Banbury Road.

Have a great visit. Summer in Oxford is beautiful. Try to catch a Shakespeare production in the gardens of one of the colleges - an experience you won't forget.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need a car??

Thank you so much OxfordAJR!!! We have decided not to rent a car after all. I will visit that website, too!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need a car??

Oxford is a 'walkable' City as far as visiting Colleges, Museums, shopping and the other main attractions are concerned.

A TripAdvisor Member
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need a car??

Agreeing with EssexWanderer, the city itself is very walkable. You can also hire bikes from Folly Bridge(unlikely to be necessary fo you).

In addition, the local area should be reasonably easily accessed by bus/local transport, if I remember correctly from my undergrad days (although that is getting to be a time ago..)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need a car??

Having a car in Oxford is like having a wet suit in the desert - totally useless

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need a car??

That seems to be the general consensus so we are not going to rent a car and use the bus/taxis instead.

Get answers to your questions about Oxford