We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

I am wondering if any attractions/museums/ festivals are worth seeing during weekend 15 November. I am on a business trip alone and have the wknd to see/drive between Birmingham and London, when I depart on Monday 17th.

Thinking either Cotswold area or other countryside if it is worth doing something quiet, ie, palaces, festivals, shows. Of course it is a bit cold then.

Other option is staying in London, though I have visited on several occasions. Naturally, there is so much to do in the city but I enjoy variety when I travel.

Appreciate any thoughts. I enjoy many activities: outdoors, museums, movies, plays, food, sports. Better if reasonable in cost.

Thanks,

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

Hi,

If the weather's nice, I'd walk round the grounds of Blenheim Palace in Woodstock.

There's not too much to do in Chippy itself, although the Alms Houses down by St Mary's church are really pretty.

I'd probably get the bus into Oxford (the number 20 goes every hour or so, not as frequently on Sundays). Once there there's loads to do - just wander round, visit the Pitt Rivers museum, the Museum of Modern Art,, G&D's ice cream parlours (not to be missed!), Christchurch cathedral...

Are you staying in Chippy? The usual tourist traps in the Cotswolds are Burford, Stow on the Wold, Bourton on the Water etc. They are pretty, but parking is at a premium and there will be loads of tourists. Cirencester is really nice too - the Forum arts centre is pretty cool.

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

Oh, also in Chippy you could visit the bookshop - it's an independent one and has a nice little cafe part. There's an art gallery/studio upstairs.

Frankie Doodle is another shop that's pretty fun, full of glittery/shiny/stuff you really don't need.

That aside, there's not too much. The Chequers pub does nice food and there may be something on at The Theatre (also a small cinema, but don't expect any recent releases). This is pretty much right next door to the Chequers and could make a nice evening.

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

Thanks. I decided to stay at the Remont outside of Oxford. I can see much in Oxford area and go to Blenheim and surroundings also.

4. Re: What to do in the country; weekend 15 Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chipping Norton