We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midsomer Murders itinerary

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Midsomer Murders itinerary

We are traveling by car for 2 days on a "Midsomer" tour April 16-17, starting in Chipping Campden and ending in Iffley. We will stay overnight in Great Kimble. Besides Blenheim, we don't plan to spend too long in any 1 place, perhaps 20 minutes at most. It looks like I have too many stops, but most will likely be very short. We want to see some of the countryside and filming locations, nothing too detailed. The stops shown below are close to the order we would see them.

Any comments on timing and what I definitely should add or drop would be appreciated.

Day 1: Blenheim (3hrs). Great Haseley?, Thame, Long Crendon, Cuddington, Haddenham, The Lee, chesham?, amersham?, Misenden

Day 2: Bledlow, Lewknor, Watlington,Henley , Mapledurham, Walllingford, Ewelme, Warborough(6 Bells), Dorchester, Iffley,

11 replies to this topic
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Bumping for you.

I'm not sure I've been to any of your places on day 2. But 3 hours for Blenheim should be enough; might get away with a bit less. I like Long Crendon and Haddenham and Great Missenden. Don't think I've been to the others, but I was doing a drive around the Chilterns, not from a Midsomer Murders perspective. 20 mins might be enough for the first two, possibly a bit longer for GM.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Did a route check on AA Route Planner for Day 2, seems okay as it is in a compact area, perhaps 2 hours driving. I think you underestimate time, at each place you will need to find somewhere to park, possibly requiring payment, and then locate the building or whatever that interests you. Make sure you have a big bag of coins.And make sure it is Dorchester-on-Thames if using a Satnav.

I would incorporate a diversion into Brill en-route Blenheim to Thame, which featured twice in Midsomer Murders and is an interesting place.

http://midsomermurders.org/brillloc.htm

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Its achievable - but a lot of driving, Blenhiem Palace is worth at least half a day, also a visit to St Martins Church in Bladon to see Winston Churhill's Grave. Its next to Blenhiem.

You wont see or have time to see all the things listed - in my opinion.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Some lovely places listed,we have been to all of them and recently stayed at the Fleur de lys inn at Dorchester on Thames which serves excellent food if you have time for lunch.The abbey,directly opposite is also worth a visit and the lane down to the thames is beautiful,very picturesque....i could stay in Dorchester on Thames for a full day.....20 minutes is a little rushed,give it a bit longer as it is a little beauty.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Ewelme, as well as Dorchester, is worth rather more than 20 minutes of your time.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

This is a very pleasant drive through some pretty and interesting countryside. Do linger in Dorchester on Thames - it's a gorgeous little place with an Abbey, some good pubs and tearooms, and it's worth a wander along the High Street.

Don't forget to pay a visit to Woodstock itself - it's the elegant town where Blenheim is located.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

You probably know this already, but this is a very useful website:

http://midsomermurders.org/locationsindex.htm

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

Hi Frank

I think it depends what you’re after. If it’s the charming villages then I’d lose Amersham and Chesham and focus on the others. Great Haseley is beautiful and quintessentially English and Long Crendon bigger but lovely too. Like others I would include Brill too. All the villages you’ve mentioned have excellent pubs if you wanted to stop to eat.

Mrs G

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,243 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

I think going by Frank's itinerary, he's been already.

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
449 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midsomer Murders itinerary

You must go to Great Haseley and Little Haseley. They are both very picturesque villages. I live locally and often make a detour just to drive through these two villages.

Reply to: Midsomer Murders itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted