We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

I am having to drive to Nottingham from Glasgow next Tuesday (5 May) to attend a car auction the next morning. Can anyone advise of the quickest route to drive. Currently, Routeplanner estimates a 5hr 30 min journey via the A1 (which I would like to avoid if possible). The Car Auction is in Netherfield NG4 area. Trains & Planes & Coach far too expensive so have to drive. Thank you

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

< (which I would like to avoid if possible) >

Why? the leg from Scotch Corner to Leeming Bar only takes 10 minutes, after which it's 3 lanes all the way to Nottingham. (I'm assuming A1M, M1)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

I drove up to Edinburgh from Nottingham last Summer, and used the A1 and was pleasantly surprised by how easy the road was to travel along. As Alanrow says lots of 3 lane stretches. Heading South I would recommend A1, M18, M1 to Junction 26 then into Nottingham on A610 and then straight through city to the Netherfield area

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

< I drove up to Edinburgh from Nottingham last Summer, and used the A1 and was pleasantly surprised by how easy the road was to travel along. As Alanrow says lots of 3 lane stretches. >

It's even better now the Dishforth non-Roundabout to Leeming Bar portion is open. Up until a couple of months ago it was horrible with average speed cameras for about 15 miles.

Edited: 5:01 pm, May 30, 2012
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

A1 is a good choice of road to use, far from avoiding it I would suggest using it

5. Re: Glasgow to Nottingham Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, June 21, 2013