We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

Hello all, I had originally posted this in the Nottinghamshire forum but reposting here :

We may be driving through the area on our way from York to Cambridge and would appreciate input as to the best route to take (we do enjoy the scenic route) .... and any must sees & dos ?

Which would be the most scenic drive, through Lincolnshire or through Nottinghamshire ?

We are planning on touring the countryside, and history/historic sites, we prefer charming market towns and staying in B&Bs.

I am trying to stay off the Motorways as much as possible, although do not necessarily have to avoid them completely.

Open to all suggestions as to what to see and where to spend a night.

We are Canadian in our late 40's and have never been to your country .... so any input would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
375 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

Just continuing our conversation from the Nottinghamshire Forum, now that I have more information it is possible to be more precise.

Here are a few suggestions.

Take the A1 South from York, leave it close to Worksop and join the A614.

Shortly after this you will be able to take a diversion into Clumber Park a beautiful National Trust park...you can drive through, stop and look at the gardens or have a coffee or a meal.

Continue south...skirt Nottingham on the ring road ( by pass) or if you fancy a visit head into the city.

Leave Nottingham ring road on the A606 direction Melton Mowbray....this will take you through some lovely countryside....you have the option of a detour to Belvoir Castle.

next on into Rutland...perhaps lunch at Hambleton Hall....on a weekday lunch for less in one of the most spectacular settings in the UK for £25 a head + drinks...it is amazing value and on a sunny day one of the most special things to do in our area.

You could make a circuit of Rutland Water and if interested in wildlife visit the Lyndon Reserve to see the live video stream of our Ospreys nesting and perhaps see them for yourselves. This has been a remarkable conservation success story and we are very proud of it!

Lots of small towns are possble; Oakham, Uppingham, and Stamford, or a stop at Burghley House....

Then it is back on the A1 and down to Cambridge.

Now obviously you couldn't do all of that but if you left York at 9.00 you could be at Clumber by 10.15 for coffee and have plenty of time to meander through our lovely countryside.

Hope that this helps.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

That's a splendid suggested route.

Bevoir Castle isn't open very often so you'll need to check their website. But Burghley House is open most of the time and it is very grand. Hambledon Hall too is very grand - very nice indeed. Alternatives in Stamford are The George and The William Cecil but Hambledon Hall is the one.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Oakham or Uppingham - nice enough but not special like Stamford.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

A belated thought. Surprisingly Mr Hood left out Southwell. A charming Nottinghamshire town with a superb Minster.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

Excellent suggestions folks!I

You could also consider a visit to Byron's Ancestral home - Newstead Abbey - just a little north of Nottingham on the A60:

http://www.newsteadabbey.org.uk/

And, depending on the date you will be there, as it is not open all the time, some great industrial Heritage at Papplewick Pumping Station:

http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk/

Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

That is pretty much what I was looking for ....... thanks so much for the suggestions folks !!!!

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
375 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

And of course how could I forget there is the Robin Hood visitor centre and the major oak......next after Clumber Park before Nottingham if you like some "history". Haven't been myself for more years than I care to remember but how can you not discuss a trip through Nottingham without mentioning that.

7. Re: Driving tour, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:43 pm, June 18, 2013