We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barging from Sawley Marina

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Barging from Sawley Marina

Hi, we're hiring 4 barges for a family weekend break through Hire A Canal Boat Limited - has anyone used this firm and if so how were the boats/experience? As we are leaving from Sawley Marina does anyone recommend any good eateries we may pass which are both child and adult friendly. Thanks.

Oxford
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barging from Sawley Marina

I don't I'm afraid, but i'm doing a similar thing - and do hope you find some.

enjoy

Tom

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barging from Sawley Marina

Sorry I missed your original question.

I have no direct experience of the company you are hiring from but Sawley Marina is a very reputable place on the waterways.

I doubt that you are hiring barges - if you are they will be over 7 ft in beam (ie width), although in a weekend this probably wouldn't matter too much.

You have three choices of routes.

1) Along the Trent and Mersey canal through the canal village of Shardlow as far as Stenson Marina. If you have wide beam boats (ie over 7 ft) you cannot progress beyond the outskirts of Burton. Lots of pubs along here - three canalside in Shardlow - all do meals.

2) Down the river Trent to Nottingham and beyond. Not a route I would recommend persoanlly as I prefer canals.

3) Head upstream on the river Soar from Trent Lock ( a couple of miles from Shardlow). Lots of canalside pubs. The Otter south of Kegworth; The Rose and Crown at Zouch; The Plough at Normanton on Soar; a couple of "locals" in Loughborough; the Navigation at Barrow-on-Soar; and the Waterside at Mountsorrel.

Very pleasant scenery the whole way apart from a very short stretch through Loughborough.

3. Re: Barging from Sawley Marina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nottingham