We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

My extended family are hoping to arrange a weekend family get together in June/July in the Peak district - I've ruled out self catering accomodation as it would require too much organisation with food etc. So looking for family friendly hotel for a party of up to 24 adults and 16 children aged from 6 months to 12 years - with at least 12 rooms - 9 will need to be able to accomodate children. Dog friendly preferred. Any ideas?! Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
30,133 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

I can think of a couple of places, but what is your budget??

Here are the places that I have thought of:

brook-hotels.co.uk/hotels/new-bath-hotel-mat…

The New Bath Hotel at Matlock Bath. Has had a couple of changes of ownership since I stayed there when it was a Trust House Forte Hotel - BUT it is an 'Institution' in the local area, and maybe worth a 'look' for you, as it has something for all ages.

A llitte outside of the 'true' Peaks, but still in a pleasant area of Derbyshire is Breadsall Priory, now Marriott owned:

marriott.co.uk/hotels/…

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Thanks for those suggestions..I had a quick look but can't see any mention of children welcome or family rooms at the first hotel and the second one is probably a bit over our budget - (looking for £100 per room per night?) .

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Try looking at somewhere in Buxton - although I have never been there, the Buckingham might fit the bill:

www.buckinghamhotel.co.uk/hotel-buxton.htm .

You will need to be quick, however, as you are trying to book a lot of rooms at a popular time of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Buxton
Buxton
Derbyshire, UK
Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Thanks for that suggestion - that looks a really interesting hotel and a definite possibility.

I'm still waiting to hear from cousins overseas to which weekend is best - so I don't know what exact dates or numbers yet...hopefully that will be sorted soon..so I can get rooms booked - I realise the later we leave it...the less likely we'll get somewhere good.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,683 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Have a look at - Cressbrook Hall www.cressbrookhall.co.uk . But not sure of the cost.

We've attended an extended family weekend together there that worked out very well. We hired multiple rooms and cottages etc all within 100yds of each other.

Edited: 4:14 pm, March 02, 2011
Kenilworth
Level Contributor
391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

A youth hostel would be perfect for you - though not for the dog. But I have friends who leave their dogs overnight in the car in the car park at hostels.

The YHA has lots of places to choose from in the Peak District -see www.yha.org.uk

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Castleton has 6 pubs/hotels all 1 minute walk from each other and B/b's galore, so if you could not all get in one hotel you only be a spit from each other. Castle, InnKeepers Lodge has the most rooms in Castleton, but they are all nice.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Thanks for all the suggestions...I need to get the family to set a date then I can look into everything further.

I think Cressbrook Hall looks above our budget and we need somewhere that does an evening meal.

A youth hostel doesn't really appeal - but I did find one that did food and had smaller bedrooms so I haven't ruled it out.

I have visited Castleton before and really liked it - it would be a perfect place - but we definitely all need to be in the same accomodation to enjoy the evening meal together and share babysitting duties!

Edited: 11:50 am, March 19, 2011
Nottinghamshire, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

I can thoroughly recommend Oakerthorpe Manor House in Oakerthorpe for a big family reunion!! 17 members of our family stayed there between xmas and new year last year and it was absolutely magical! The old historical house is all yours and has a huge dining room where we spent many a night eating a big family meal together in front of the log fire and then 'retired' to the lounge or the games room. It was fantastic and the cost is not as extortionate as you might think when you split it between quite a few adults.

Everyone loved it from toddler to Grandma!

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for large family reunion in the Peak District?

Oakerthorpe looks lovely BUT it doesn't have enough rooms for us all.

We now have a date 22nd July - 25th July (probably the busiest weekend ever!!) and the family have decided on self catering! So, we're struggling to find anywhere in the Peaks area that has at least 12 bedrooms (can be split into a number of cottages on the same site) that sleeps up to 24 adults and 16 children (although at least 7of these would be in travel cots). We have found a place in near Hereford - but it's obviously not in the right area! Any ideas?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...