We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend road closures around Howden and Derwent reservoirs?

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend road closures around Howden and Derwent reservoirs?

Hello,

We'll be in the Peak District again for a few days this summer and would like to head up around Howden and Derwent reservoirs to visit the little Dambusters museum there (oh, and take in the scenery too!).

My road atlas (admittedly ten years old!) that says that the road along the reservoirs is closed on weekends and bank holidays - does anybody know if this is true? The museum at the Derwent dam is only open on Sunday, so it would seem odd if that's the only access road...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend road closures around Howden and Derwent reservoirs?

The road is always open as far as the Fairholmes car park. Above that it is closed at weekends and bank holidays and a shuttle bus runs up the valley. At the car park is a visitor centre run by the Peak National Park. The car park is pay and display and the museum in the west tower of the Derwent dam is a short walk away from the car park. The car park gets extremely busy at weekends.

peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/…derwent.htm

The above is the website for the visitor centre if you wished to check for further information.

I was there the last time the Lancaster came down the valley . It was an awesome site. You may be interested to know that many other of the reservoirs were also used for practising such as Langsett, Midhope etc. They are referred to as the Sheffield lakes in the air logs. Following the Dambusters raids pylons were erected either side of the reservoirs to the north of Sheffield and between these were wires . These were to stop any low flying aircraft.

It's a lovely area and good for a walk. I used to live nearby.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend road closures around Howden and Derwent reservoirs?

Thanks so much Gibel, that's just what I needed to know! The info on the other reservoirs is really interesting, too (looks like I still have a fair bit of reading up to do before the trip!).

:)

I can well imagine that the Lancaster would have been an impressive thing to witness there - especially in a place associated so closely with them. I saw it flying up the beach at Lowestoft last year and it took my breath away.

Thanks again very much for your help!

3. Re: Weekend road closures around Howden and Derwent reservoirs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...