We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear for steeplechase

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear for steeplechase

Is there any general rule as to what to wear for a steeplechase? We're planning on going to the May 24 fixture at Hexham. On their website, they say

"In all enclosures this should be smart casual, no jeans or trainers in the Club Enclosure and Restaurant, whilst football shirts are not permitted anywhere on the course."

1) What do they mean by "trainers" - jacket and pants an athlete might wear, or exercise apparel?

2) I imagine we will be purchasing mid level tickets - At what price level are we excluded from the Restaurant?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

Trainers are what you "ex-colonials" would call sneakers/athletic shoes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,820 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

Evening meeting in Northumberland in May - I'd dress warm.

BTW it's not a steeplechase, it's National Hunt or Jumps

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

Many thanks for the clarifications. My sister started the search for steeplechase fixtures, so i never realized there was a difference - thank you!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

The meetings where jumping is involved are "National Hunt". There are two types of obstacles, fences and hurdles. Hurdles are smaller and lighter. Races are over one or the other, never both in the same race. Fences can comprise of "plain" fences, "open ditch" where the fence has a narrow ditch in front, and normally just one "water jump" which is a lower fence but longer because of the water after the fence. There is also the occasional flat race, known as a "bumper" which is usually the last race of the meeting.

You'll find plenty of bookmakers around who will be only too pleased to relieve you of some money for your bets, or you may use the "Tote". Bookies, as they are known, use electronic boards these days where you can study the odds. Meetings at country courses like Hexham tend to be very friendly affairs and you'll find folk able to help you with your betting.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

I can't see any restrictions on using the Pavilion Restaurant apart from prior booking being 'advisable'.

The package costs £62.00 (including VAT) per person and includes: Reserved Table for the duration of the days racing (... etc) - it appears you can't just wander in and buy lunch.

There are other snack facilities and bars around the course.

Barbour jackets and Hunter wellies may well be prominent.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

Unless you are in some posh enclosure, the general attire at such things is a coat (a proper wax jacket in the countryside) and wellies! Hopefully it won't be too cold in May but you never know. Looks like you are going to an evening meeting, so definitely potential to be cold. It might be quite muddy and wet.

You don't have to eat in the restaurant. There is fast food and sandwiches (or take your own picnic). Even if you want to go to the restaurant, this is Hexham and not Ascot. Smart casual will be fine. No fancy hats or anything. I am pretty sure the restaurant is in the club enclosure, and the fast food is in the paddock (if you are really lucky there might be dinky doughnuts van!). I suspect you will have to reserve a table in advance for the restaurant (but I don't know this).

I have been to Hexham races in the past (but quite a few years back) and I was totally unaware there was any dress code at all. Looking at the FAQs on this website I can find this below. So you can wear jeans if you want.

Note - pants mean underwear in the UK. Do NOT go to the races in only your pants. That would be a chilly experience.

Is there a dress code?

Smart/Casual. No football shirts or trainers but smart jeans are permitted. It's advisable not to wear stiletto heels.

http://www.hexham-racecourse.co.uk/faqs.htm

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
735 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

Questions like this bring out the wicked humour! I'm so tempted to answer as per an improvisational stand-up comedy game-show: "What not to wear when going to the races at Hexham"......

So along those lines I would suggest that a themed hat is essential, and would suggest the theme of "Spring Break in Florida"...

(i'll get me coat ...)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

well, I have been jump racing from Fakenham to Cheltenham and always worn jeans and wellies and thermal underwear, but then, I dont go for a posh meal, I can always be found clinging to the rails near the finish. And I would never, never bet, I like to be pleased for whoever wins.

9. Re: What to wear for steeplechase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, August 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Hexham
Recent Conversations