We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herring Sheds - Boulmer

Oltey Yorkshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Herring Sheds - Boulmer

Has anyone any experience of the above accommodation as we are thinking of booking a week there later in the year?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,235 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

They sound a bit fishy to me.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

I have heard that it is smokin'

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

I'm herring good things about it - I'm surprised I had the gull to say that

Oltey Yorkshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

You're all stitching me up like a right Kipper here!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

They have a good restaurant, don't eat too much though, end up like a bloater...

Harrogate
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

Stayed here several times prior to our last visit in April, and at that time sadly in need of a little Kelp !

Tried to post my TA Review (below) after that visit and but as the property wasn't listed, submitted all details for TA ("We will use this information to invite the property owner toregister with one of our partner sites. If the property lists with us, we’ll notify you when the property is ready for review") . . . . . still not listed.

REVIEW

Saturday 13 April 2013

PHOTOS http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHjmVZR

"We have always enjoyed our many visits to Herring Sheds Cottage, which is set in the most wonderful isolated location just yards from the beach in the quiet fishing village of Boulmer.

The cottage has a good modern kitchen with the usual equipment which is essential for us as we have to cater for our daughter's severe food allergies.

The lounge is small and snug, perfect for a family of 3/4, and the centrepiece is the wonderful hearth with log burning stove which gives the cottage its 'heart' when lit on those dark, cold days.

Sadly the lounge is very dimly lit even on the brightest sunny day and some of the furnishings are less that inviting (see photos http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHjmVZR ). There is the most awful filthy-looking loose pile rug in front of the fire and two brown check sofas which now look grubby and tired.

The bathroom is modern, very clean with wonderful clean, fluffy towels. There is plenty of hot water and taking a bath will probably be preferable to showering as the shower is a complete disappointment. If you like cold showers you will be perfectly happy as the flow is quite decent , however as soon as you turn up the temperature control the flow rate reduces to a pathetic dribble.

The bedrooms are fine, a reasonable size and the beds are comfortable with clean linen although there are a couple of creepy goaty/sheepy things (see photo) welcoming guests on the twin beds ! (These are the first items to find the top of the wardrobe !)

The cottage boasts fabulous central heating which keeps the place as toasty as you want in ALL weathers and has a washing machine and dryer in the porch.

To the outside of the property is a small square of lawn with a large gravelled area completely enclosed by a wall.

We have just returned from a week in the cottage and we last there for a week in December 2012.

We understand that since last summer (2012) and our stay in December the management of this cottage has been taken over by another party.

We feel this has led to a decline in the levels of care, maintenance and management, and regrettably for these reasons we will now be looking to stay elsewhere on our numerous annual visits to the area.

Upon our arrival last week, there were a number of niggling issues but primarily the oven was so filthy we were unable to cook without the most offensive smoke and fumes pouring out each time the door was opened during cooking.

In a 5 star, premium rate self-catering holiday cottage it should not be necessary to have to go out to buy oven cleaning equipment and spend precious holiday time cleaning an oven to enable it to be reasonably fit for purpose. We contacted the company (see email) and apart from their brief acknowledgement of its receipt, we still await the courtesy of their response."

. . . . . . . It's now August, and we are still waiting !

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

Only properties with Flipkey or Holidaylettings.co.uk are allowed to be listed on TA.

As the Herring Sheds belong to Alnwick Estates, and havemtheir own website, do not hold your breath....

8. Re: Herring Sheds - Boulmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 08, 2014