We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
301 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Hi there

Looking for some suggestions for places in Northumberland. I'm not sure if it's best to be based in the middle and travel around or opt for two locations. Maybe Rothbury or somewhere round there and then Berwick?

The plan was to have 2 nights in York and then head up for about 4 nights.

Possible places I've identified so far are:

Kirkbank house - Berwick on Tweed (looks lovely) - I'm defiantly thinking of 1-2 nights here

Newton Hall - Nt Alnwick - Very new and no reviews. I'm worried that this is mostly a wedding venue and we would be either very quiet or swamped with a wedding?

St Cuthbert's House - Seahouses, great reviews, but I would rather have a slightly bigger hotel with dining options

Likewise The Orchard House, Rothbury - good reviews and some great deals at the moment, but B&B only

Doxford Hall Hotel - bit big and traditional? I prefer boutique style accommodation

Blackmore's of Alnwick (looks good on the website, but some pretty poor reviews on Tripadvisor)

Any suggestions of the best way to approach this or split the day would be great.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Hi

I recently stayed in Northumberland and used this website to find my hotel. I found them through a Facebook page and the information was pretty accurate. Give them a try.

http://www.stayin-northumberland.co.uk/

Enjoy your trip.

2. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, March 15, 2014
Edited: 6:05 pm, March 15, 2014
Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Check out Roxbro House in Warkworth, good reviews here on TA

Essex
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

This place at the very pretty Budle Bay has had great reviews for years....

http://www.warenhousehotel.co.uk/

midlands
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

I wondered whether you went on this stay, and where you stayed, and if it was any good?

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
301 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

After we left York (Cafe Du Vin) we went to Rothbury and visited Alnwick castle (very expensive and a bit dull) and Cragside (excellent). We stayed for one night at The Orchard House. This had a nice room, rather warm, and we ate in the local pub which was OK. Breakfast was good but I would say this was a place to stop for maybe one or two nights depending on what you were interested in. Good for walking and not to far from the coast.

After this we stayed at Kirkbank House, which was fantastic, my review is here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g504038-d1846…

We visited the Farne Islands and spent time walking on the fabulous beaches all of which was most enjoyable. Highly recommended, hope this helps. Kirkbank house is actually in Scotland and the only local dining option is the pub (which was fine). Travelling to the coast only took about 15 mins. Seahouses itself is a bit touristy with typical coastal shops and cheap places to eat. We even got to see Prince Charles when we were there!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Newton Hall is an aweful venue. You are right - mostly for weddings. the prices are too high and the setting and rooms are over rated. I stayed there last weekend and paid 380 pounds for 2 nights which are very much regretting as I didnt get any sleep, the shower was leaking and the breakfast was disgusting.

Would not recommend!

Newcastle upon...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

Stayed at Newton Hall Hotel a couple of weeks ago as part of a wedding party.

The wedding was excellent but I thought the hotel was poor for the extortionate price of £230 for 1 night.

The room was very impressive with free standing beaten metal bath in the bay window but the bed was broken, the wardrobe door wouldn't stay shut, the bathroom window wouldn't open, the meager tea and coffee supply was poor, toiletries scant too. could go on and on but breakfast was the worst. We ordered coffee which was tepid and a ' stack ' which was a rock hard muffin with a piece of shoe leather on top (supposed to be crispy local bacon) solid black leather (supposed to be black pudding) a passable poached egg and a solid lump of dressing sauce. A hard breakfast to get wrong but they managed it. No bread or toast offered so don't know why there were jams on the table. Poor in my view.

In hotels in this price range in the past I have had the bed turned down, the bathroom cleaned and re-stocked and tea and coffee replenished and that lovely touch of a chocolate on your pillow. Too casual service all together.

Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

I was a guest at a wedding here recently. The wedding enjoyable (very good planning on the part of the bride and groom) and the venue attractive but one huge downside was the hotel's total lack of ability to provide proper access for disabled wheelchair users. Apparently the hotel management thinks it acceptable for wheelchairs and their occupants to be carried up and downstairs with no recognition of health and safety issues, let alone preserving the dignity of such guests. Nor was there easy access to toilet facilities. A dreadful condemnation of a 'luxury' hotel in 2014.

10. Re: Nice boutique style hotels Northumberland coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 31, 2015