We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

Victoria
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

We wish to visit Hadrians Wall but are not sure whether much can be seen without walking. My husband is in a manual wheelchair that needs a fairly level smooth surface for me to push him. We intend to allow a day and would love to know where we should stay as well. We do have a car - but wonder whether the bus may be a better option? Looking forward to any help...thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

hadrians-wall.org/page.aspx/…Getting-Around

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

Unfortunately Hadrian's Wall is situated on very undulating and sometimes very rough terrain and other than Bardon Mill (National Trust) where there is limited access there are not many places that are suitable for a wheelchair. The area we stayed at in July was Gilsland and I did not see anywhere along that stretch that would be ok. The Roman Army Museum is a fairly new museum linked with Vindolanda that we found very interesting. There are paths at Vindolanda so you may be able to get quite close to the excavations but it is quite hilly. Perhaps you could e-mail them and ask.

www.vindolanda.com/Roman-Army-Museum

Gateshead, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

Hi ... you might find this review of Vindolanda useful ... it's by a manual wheelchair user accessibleplaces.net/2011/…

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

Well done karenjpa, a very useful site. I did notice that although he went to the museum attached to Vindolanda, he did not mention the Roman Army Museum a few miles away at Greenhead, which I would have thought would be more chair friendly because it is quite new and has to conform to disabled standards.

Edited: 7:48 am, August 19, 2011
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

If you have a car, drive along the B6318 from Heddon on the Wall to Greenhead which runs along the line of Hadrian's Wall. In places between Heddon and the crossroads with the A6079 there are short stretches of the wall which are close to the road. There is what looks like a wheelchair accessible path beside this. You can also see the ditch which was dug to the north of the wall and the vallum which was dug to the south.

At Haltwhistle, take the unclassified road at the crossroads by the Milecastle Inn to Cawfields picnic site. There is a path from the parking area by the flooded old quarry which takes you up to a milecastle on the wall. This should be OK with a wheelchair. There is a footpath east from here along the wall which again may be manageable in the wheelchair for at least the first bit.

Vindolanda does have reconstructions of the stone and turf walls. It is a while since I went to the Roman Army Museum and to be honest I wasn't impressed. The years did not seem to have treated it kindly and it had a very dated feel to it. It also concentrates on army life rather than the Wall itself. I think Vindolanda may be a better investment of time as there are the excavated remains of the fort and vicus (settlement around the fort).

We've always stayed in Hall Meadows B&B in the centre of Haltwhistle and can recommend it.

thebestof.co.uk/local/…29391

Edited: 11:56 am, August 20, 2011
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

<The years did not seem to have treated it kindly and it had a very dated feel to it. It also concentrates on army life rather than the Wall itself>

Hmmm! Maybe we did not go to the same museum, or, it has been updated because we spent around 2 hours there. It is called the Roman Army Museum because it is about the Roman Army. Ok so no actual archeaology but lots of information, some interactive and mainly on a timeline, which is something that is very often overlooked when talking about Hadrian's Wall. Our combined ticket also included entry to Vindolanda which helped to put it all into perspective.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

Another option could be to visit Segedunum fort at Wallsend, it has a museum and the fort and roman baths, all easily accessible, I have taken a double buggy round it a few times! There is also a tower with a lift where you can look down on the site and see the line of the wall from there. There is also a good exhibit at the Great North Museum in Newcastle, again this is more access friendly than the actual wall. I have also visited Chesters Roman fort on the wall with a buggy, but to be honest it was hard going on uneven grass for most of it - need your porridge for strength before you try that one!!

Lou73

8. Re: Hadrians Wall - for wheelchair users?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 12, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Northumberland