We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Hello,

I am required to be in Northampton each month for 2-4 nights at a time for work purposes. I've stayed at the Lime Trees and Langham hotels, both with unpleasant experiences due to sleeplessness thanks to the uncomfortable bedding in both places.

I will be looking to stay near the University Park Campus for future visits and as I will be a frequent visitor, I wonder if there is a good nearby location to return to that's under £50/night? Ideally I'd like a self-catering flat, but a B&B or even a well-maintained hotel would be fine. The main thing is comfort. I can't carry on without sleep.

Many thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

There's a Travelodge just up the road from Kingsthorpe where the campus is at Round Spinney, pub in the same grounds and it's cheap and you know what your getting with Travelodge

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/471/Northampton-Roun…

Or for a very local B&B actually in Kingsthorpe have a look at Grove House

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186349-d1444…

And just a thought but I believe they rent rooms at the Sunhill centre on the campus itself ? tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186349-d1153… can't get closer than that

Hope that helps

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of the hotels you mentioned, but am looking for self-catering or a B&B. I've heard poor reviews for Grove House B&B via local word-of-mouth and Travelodge doesn't fare very well on Tripadvisor, unfortunately. I'll probably give the Sunley a try next time.

It does appear that decent accommodation is lacking in Northampton.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Got to disagree, there's plenty of decent accom in Northampton & surrounding villages but you've narrowed your choices by stating it needs to be close to Kingsthorpe which is predominantly a large residential area in the town and not where you'd find a prolific amount of B&B's or hotels for that matter.

Surely it would be worth trying Grove House when your next here to suss it for yourself as oppose to word of mouth ?

Edited: 10:24 am, January 19, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Yes, I have 'narrowed' myself by being unable to drive and not having the budget for 2x daily taxis to and from campus every time I'm in town, which is often and prolonged. But if it's a large residential area then yes, I will need to stay at the Sunley or stay in town and get taxis.

I think word of mouth is rather useful. It's the whole premise of TripAdvisor.

Cheers.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Grove House has 2 glowing reviews on TA..............and nothing detrimental in the forums about it. Although you say word of mouth in your earlier post and not on TA.

Good luck

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

I'm now ending this dialogue with someone who appears defensively insistant on a B&B that I've twice stated is unsuitable.

However, for future readers of this discussion who might be interested in Grove House, please note:

- Their website is no longer functioning: http://www.grovehousebedandbreakfast.com/

- You can find details here, although it also clicks through to the site that's down:

http://www.hotelsandguesthouses.net/522517

- On the three occasions in the month of January 2013 that I called their number for details, there was no answer and no voice message.

- The only two Grove House reviews on TripAdvisor, although glowing, are from May 2009 and Sept 2010. Nothing since.

- Grove House is closer to Avenue Campus than Park Campus.

Best wishes.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

007, I agree that finding a B&B or self catering in Northampton isn't easy if you have no transport. I'm assuming that you are working at Park Campus? If so, it might be worth asking someone on the staff to use the web board to ask if anyone has a room for rent.

The other potentially useful thing to know is that there is a bus service every half hour between Park and Avenue campus, so if you stay in town it's a cheap way of getting up to Park.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

Don't request help and waste valuable time when your not interested in any replies............simples ! I was the only person trying to help you. Says it all.

9. Re: B&B or self-catering flat near University Park Campus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, February 17, 2014