We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tour

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tour

Hi we will be visiting the dales for three days, two nights in July and I am trying to plan my route. Due to the limited mobility of one passenger we will need to see the dales mainly from the car so I will be doing plenty of driving with occasional stops at suitable viewing points.

Here is what I have planned so far.

We will be setting off from Huddersfield driving to Gargrave where we will enter the dales and drive to Malham where we may do the short walk to gordale scar or the boardwalk at the Tarn. If not we will stop at the tarn viewpoint. From there we will to the Ribblehead viaduct via settle stainforth and Horton . After a viewing stop there we will head to ingleton and pop to Kirkby Lonsdale before heading to our B and B in Kneasden.

One the next day I plan to drive to Dent via kingsdale and deepdale then on to Hawes before we head uo to buttertubs into Muker. Then back over the tops to Askrigg and then back to kneasden via Hawes.

The final day drive to Aygarth then down through wharfdale via Buckden stopping in Grassington Burnsal and Appletreewick

Any suggestions or advice gladly received especially about view points that are drivable to.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tour

This looks well thought out. You have to park in the official car Park at Aysgarth and then it is a short walk to view the falls. You can't see them properly on a drive past.

You aren't doing this tour anywhere near the Tour de France dates at the beginning of July are you?

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tour

Thank you Morgana. No thankfully we will be up in the dales t the end of July. We will have to deal with tour chaos as it passes by here in Huddersfield.

Our only other plan we thought about was a trip on the train from Settle but know we will be stuck on a station between trains as most stations are out of village centres. Am I right in believing this?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tour

Thank goodness - I had visions of you clashing with the tour.

I don't think you need to worry about viewpoints as I think you'll just be able to pull in to laybys or other parking spaces when you see something you want to investigate further - or just admire the views.

I am always a little disappointed with Malham Tarn but the Cove itself is superb. It's a little walk from the car park in Malham to the foot of the Cove but well worth it - and the track is good and suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs.

There are rough steps up to the top which I wouldn't recommend for your companion with limited mobility. But the view from the bottom of the cove is amazing and well worth the effort.

Apologies but I have never been on the Settle railway so can't advise on your question.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tour

Hi

Regarding the railway, what you say is partly true. Horton in Ribblesdale station is in the village but obviously as its the first stop after Settle,wouldn't give you much of a trip, or take you over Ribblehead viaduct or past the best scenery.

You need to go at least to Kirkby Stephen or Appleby to appreciate the line.

Have a look at the website here settle-carlisle.co.uk/explore-the-line/…

That should give you ideas, and although the Summer timetable isn't on there yet, it may help you plan a journey.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving tour

Another pleasant walk from Malham--in the opposite direction from the Cove--is to Janet's Fosse, a wooded small waterfall. IIRC its a short and flat path, very pretty and when I was there a few years ago strongly redolent of what I learned was rampion! .

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving tour

I think you must mean what we would call wild garlic? My dad called it 'stinking garlic'.

I keep seeing recipes for using it but I've not been tempted.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
207 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving tour

Wild Garlic is called Ransom, very prominent on the path as you enter the woodland before Janets Foss. Remember that the cave behind the waterfall is home to Janet of the fairies!!

If one of you has mobility issues & it is not a weekend you can drive to Janets Foss from Malham & only need to walk a short distance. Also from the same parking place you can walk to Gordale Scar although that walk is about 500metres each way on a stony path in places.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving tour

I could have sworn it was rampion but I must have got it confused with ransom from the information plaque--definitely garlicky, though!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving tour

Hi

Plenty of details about what to see and where to go on the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority's website at www.yorkshiredales.org.uk including an events calendar and information about places like the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes, the red squirrel trail from Hawes to Snaizeholme and geocaching. Also loads of information about the National Park, its wildlife, its communities, its landscape and its history.

Don't forget the Tour de France Grand Depart is going through the National Park on July 5 so the roads will be closed virtually all day. More on the website along with info on temporary camping/caravan sites and car parking.

Also on the website are walks and information for people with less mobility. The National Trust at Malham Tarn has just bought a tramper and it will be available in the next couple of weeks or so.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving tour

vnrose - wild garlic is also known as ramps as well as ransom so I think this is what you were remembering!