We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Dales

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 Days in Dales

We have a wedding in Harrogate and plan to spend 3 days in Dales at beginning of August before travelling back to London via York.

Can you suggest a short self drive itinerary for some walking and lovely scenery please.

Thanks.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Dales

Do you mean you will be staying in Harrogate (which isn't in the Dales) and doing day trips into the Dales? Or are you going to stay somewhere in the Dales themselves?

If it's the latter I think you need to decide whereabouts you'd like to stay within the Dales. If it's the former I can suggest some day trips out from Harrogate.

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Dales

sorry not to be specific - we are staying in Harrogate for 2 nights but then want to spend 3 days in the dales. It had been suggested Grassington, Hawes, Leyburn, Marsham etc. Would you agree?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Dales

You can't go wrong with any of the places you suggest - they are some of the larger settlements in the Dales.

Depends what you are after really - many farms do a very good bed and breakfast stay, and there are any amount of tiny villages, but you may want to be within walking distance of a pub or shops? There are some very exclusive hotels in the area too. I doubt you'd find a self catering place for 3 days only in August but you never know!

Assume you mean Masham (pronounced Mass 'em), not Marsham? I live very close by (it's in Lower Wensleydale) and it's a lovely place with a huge market square. It has shops, a very good restaurant, cafes etc plus you can tour the two breweries in the town.

Grassington is in Wharfedale and is a lot busier and more touristy than Masham.

To add to your list I would also suggest you look at Middleham (Wensleydale) with its amazing ruined castle, and Pateley Bridge (Nidderdale).

Nidderdale itself is an AONB rather than being part of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, but this is to do with boundaries rather than natural beauty! Pateley would be an ideal location, and it's only about a 30 minute drive from Harrogate too.

Any of these places would give you the scenery and walking opportunities that you are after. There's an excellent and generally well signposted and maintained network of footpaths and bridleways in the Dales.

You might find this website helpful.

www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/accgde/farms.htm

Edited: 2:40 pm, January 01, 2013
Skipton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Dales

Hi,

From Harrogate I would...

1. Drive to Pateley Bridge and stay. Walk from there along the Nidd.

2. Drive over to Grassington, have a walk in the Grass Woods or on the limestone. Then drive up Kettlewell for o/n

3. Drive over to Hawes and take time exploring Wensleydale. Walk from Aysgarth Falls to Castle Bolton. O/N Masham.

The guys at Where2walk will put a more detailed itinerary together based on the best walks where2walk.co.uk/guiding-walking-holidays/…

Cheers Jonathan

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Dales

Thanks for advice and great website.

Masham
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Dales

I live in Masham and it is a perfect base to explore Wensleydale and Swaledale. The great thing about Masham is that everything is within walking distance in the town and we have so many fabulous Pubs, Cafes, and such a range of food available including our Award Winning Vennells and the Black Sheep Bistro. We have Swinton Castle on our doorstep and two breweries- Blck Sheep and Theakstons both of which offer tours and gifts. The town is delightful with several art galleries, old fashioned sweet shops, glassblowers and much more.- Check out the Masham page on Tripadvisor or visit Masham's web site .- visit masham.

Masham
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Dales

Masham is on the Ripon Rowel walk and is the start of a round trip of Wensleydale. It is possible to go from here to Hawes with the Dales Countryside Museum, Outhwaites Ropemakers, Wensleydale Dairy and the cheese tour then on to The Green Dragon at Hardraw with Hardraw Force. Go back taking in Askrigg where they filmed All Creature Great and Small, Asysgarth Falls and Bolton Castle. Stop to shop in Leyburn and you even have time to visit Historic Richmond with its Castle. You really need to come and stay for longer or keep returning as there is so much to see and do.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Dales

Swalede and Wensleydale are my favourites, quite different too in some ways. We stayed at an amazing B&B well based for both, Cordilleras House in Richmond, which in itself was a gorgeous little market town!

9. Re: 3 Days in Dales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, May 28, 2013
Masham
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in Dales

A visit to lovely Masham would be a marvellous base for your mini break in the dales. Masham has Vennells restaurant which is a must for award winning fine dining. All around the town there are places to eat. Jamie Oliver eats at the White Bear in Masham. If you go onto Tripadvisor for Masham you can see everything our little town has to offer and all in walking distance if you stay in Town. There is also Swinton Castle with the fantastic Samuels Restaurant. We have cafes and The Black Sheep Brewery Bistro and four lovely pubs serving excellent food. Masham has two markets and two breweries and is a marvellous base for touring the dales. Good luck with your hunting. Just contact me if you want to know more. Sue Burrell.