We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

Hi!

We just booked Sutton Hall Timeshare club and don't know if it is near a railway station or bus route. It is located at Sutton under Whitestone cliff in Thirsk. Has anybody seen this place? Is it near a village/city? Is it very far to Manchester if we fly into there? It says "Leeds" airport is 22 miles but does "Leeds do international flights? I'm coming from Canada. Well this is a start if anybody can help me out! Joanne

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

I mean 2006!

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

More information on York Mystery Plays. They are to be held on 9 to 16 July 2006 in the traditional way, on wagons, in the streets, as part of the York Early Music Festival, which itself is an annual event. The web site is yorkmysteryplays.org

Illinois
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

Oh, thank you so much for that information and web site. The plays I saw were way back in 1984 and it made a huge impact on me, even as a young college student. I've never forgotten it.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

Hi BarryT,

depending on what time you get into Manchester you may find it easier to spend a night at an airport hotel and then set off for Yorkshire when you are rested the next day. Thats what I did when I was in the UK last year and it does make a bit of a difference to getting to grips with the driving.

I can drive on both the left and right with equal ease but the first few minutes that you are in a RHD and driving on the left can be very disconcerting so be prepared for that - I was almost on the M62 highway to Leeds when i realsied that everyone was flashing and getting very upset with me becasue I was travelling slowly in what I was thinking was the "slow" lane when of course it was actually the fast lane - doh!

A car is a good idea in Yorkshire but it is a leap of faith and you need nerves of steel!

Air Transat and Zoom fly direct to Manchester. Air Canada usuually requires a transfer to BMI through London.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Thirsk nearby? Lots of help needed!

Oh BarryT I was just reading your other posts - going by train to York is an excellent option too. I have frequently collected cars in smaller centres rather then an airport.

If you plan to use the train more then once look into a Britrail Pass - the Flexi option allows you a number of days train travel in a certain period and is a good saving on regular fares!