We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See Sights in York

Ferndale, Michigan
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must See Sights in York

Hello! I will be staying in York while visiting one of my companies plants for work September 26-30. I will have one full day for sightseeing and three evenings to fill... what should I not miss while I am there? Any favorite restaurants or bars I should check out?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See Sights in York

Favourite restaurants of mine are -

J Bakers Bistro

Blue Bicycle

Cafe Concerto.

Bettys Teashops are famous - there are 2 in York

York is compact and there's lots to see. You mustn't miss the Minster.

The Railway Museum is fantastic, and also free to get in. You could spend hours here! It’s about a 3 minute walk from the Railway Station itself.

If the weather is fine take a walk along the walls of the city, or maybe in the evening take a boat trip or Ghost walk.

If you like shopping you will find all the usual shops, and the Shambles area is good for gifts or just window shopping.

There are several museums too, including the very good Castle Museum

I’m not that keen on the Jorvik centre – it gets mixed reviews on here.

Hope this helps with your research, and have a wonderful time up here.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See Sights in York

There's a york destination guide on www.ukgrapevine.com that's worth reading. Also visit www.yorkshirevisitor.com

Level Contributor
2,326 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See Sights in York

You must go into York Minster and take a walk through the Shambles.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must See Sights in York

Agree with almost all that Morgana suggested.

I am not a fan of Betty's --overrated in my mind but it is popular with many people.

There is a good fish and chip shop on either Stonegate or Low Petergate, someone out there will know for sure which one.

On the Shambles there is the shrine to St Margaret Clitheroe, it's in the house she lived in and very touching.

The rail museum is fantastic; even if you aren't a rail buff when you go in you will be when you leave!

The minster is an absolute must.

There are boat rides on the river and a 'London eye' type ferris wheel thing.

Ferndale, Michigan
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Must See Sights in York

thanks everyone... this will be a great trip!

6. Re: Must See Sights in York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 22, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor