We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,879 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Hi.

Our 5 day invasion of York is pretty much planned.

Regarding places to eat, I may still have some questions. So far we have been advised, not to miss Il Paradiso del Cibo and Milkshack. We have heard about Betty's . I am not sure we will go there.

Are there any other places( fancy or not) we have to pay a visit while in York?

Thanks. Yuri.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Hello, Yuri. Since your question mentions coffee shops, I have to mention Spring Espresso. We went there twice in the one day that we were in York. The service was wonderful, the people were friendly, the food was great, and (most importantly!) the coffee was excellent. I'm sorry I don' have the link to my review handy, but you can click on my name and find it.

I found Spring Espresso because it was one of the top-rated places on TripAdvisor for York, and it lived up to its reputation. We enjoy visiting local coffee shops, and this one was great. If I remember correctly, it's on Fossgate, and it's an easy walk from most areas of the city.

I hope you enjoy your 5 days in York! We only had one day, and it was wonderful. We would love to go back.

Edited: 10:07 am, May 18, 2014
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,879 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Thank you Sunrise. I add it to my list. Any more? Some memorable chippy, may be?

Or something extremely child friendly?

Yuri.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

We actually did go to a chippy, called Mr. Chippy. Apparently they own a take-away in York as well, but we ate at the sit-down restaurant. The fish and chips we had that night were the best we had on our 11-day trip last fall (London and 4 day trips). People who live in York may suggest a chippy that they think is better, as we ended up at Mr. Chippy by accident (too tired to walk to our original destination at that point in the evening!). However, based on that evening, I would definitely go back. The service was friendly and efficient, the food reasonably priced, and, like I said, absolutely delicious.

I'm not sure what age children you're talking about, but I would think that Mr. Chippy was child friendly based on the night we were there. It was a low-key, relaxed atmosphere. Our own son is 12, and he ordered the jacket potato stuffed with cheese (and boy, was there a lot of cheese), and he loved it so much that he took a picture of it. He loves fish and chips, but he had been ordering them a lot on that trip. :)

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
855 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

York is lucky to have some of the best barista's in the world residing within the walls.

The 2013 world barista of the year (& former UK Barista of the year as well) owns Harlequin in Kings Square and is a real treat for those wanting unbelievably good espresso's or flat whites;

Both The Perky Peacock and Spring Espresso have barista's that made the UK finals and both serve superb coffee and snacks also.

Edited: 11:15 am, May 18, 2014
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Yes, Spring Espresso won an award last year for the "best latte in England." I prefer espresso (see my name!), but I did have a cappuccino there, and it was very good.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,879 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Since I am an Espresso person (Reggio's to me is like a shrine ), I am more then grateful to you guys.

I love good fish and chips. Thanks here as well.

My daughter is 10. She is a very difficult eater. Somehow she is perfectly willing to eat fish when it's done the Dutch way ( kibbeling) in small chunks, but refuses to eat the very same cod, when it's done the English way. So we are stuck with Spaghetti Bolognese or chicken nuggets!

Thank you very much. Yuri.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Great news, then! I looked up the Mr. Chippy website, and they have a children's menu with "battered haddock chunks," chips, juice, and ice cream for 4.95 GBP. :)

It's found on Swinegate, which is a central location, as well. Take a look at their website.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,879 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Sunrise, you are a Jewish Mom!!! I did find it on Google map, but didn't check their menu.

We have sort of agreement with my daughter , ever since she went to school. If she brings home at the end of the school year a letter of excellence , then she gets a special treat: a trip 2-3 weeks long, Dad and daughter only. For last 5 years she lived up to it and so did I. Since she is such a terrible eater, feeding her has always been the most difficult task . Therefor I feel such a relief.

Thank you so so much.

Yuri.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Hi, I think you should consider Betty's while you are in York, it is expensive but very special. I find that young "picky" eaters really go for the chicken sandwich - just white chicken meat on brown bread. Plain, but very delicious. And the cakes and sweets are to die for. Unfortunately I think they have taken the pancakes with butterscotch sauce off the menu, that was a great favourite. I had to take jars of their butterscotch sauce to Greece and Australia, to deal with certain people's addictions. But there are many, many other interesting sweet things to try.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eateries or coffee shops in York you recommend ?

Hi Yuri,

I would second what the others have said about Spring Espresso and Harlequin, they're both very good (and, of course, Betty's, which goes without saying).

There are some lovely places on Gillygate, too: Ambience (beautiful garden) and Café 68 (awesome cakes), in particular.

Peter

---

http://theyorkdirectory.wordpress.com/

Home of the indispensable York Tea and Cake blog :)

Edited: 5:53 pm, May 18, 2014