We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

Hi, has anybody used First Transpennine's first class service between Manchester and York recently? I'm travelling on the morning service 10:11 Manchester > 11:35 York, and had assumed it would be similar to Virgin's i.e., a proper breakfast, paper, tea, coffee, etc. However, I'm not so sure that's the case as I've heard you're lucky to get a biscuit. I can't find any reliable information anywhere, so was hoping I might get some first hand experience here. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can plan ahead and not arrive at York in search of the nearest scabby horse... if I can help it!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,839 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

The wrds InterCity may well exist in the franchising paperwork, but nowhere is the term used by the TOC's themselves. It would be useful if a TOC like FGW, for instance, used it to differentiate between their long distance HST services and their other trains, but they don't.

GEJP is correct, InterCity is a term that has not been used to describe particular rail services in almost twenty years.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

First the term "InterCity" is still very much being used

---

It really isn't. Its the name on papers when deciding TOCs, its not in practical use for passengers and serves no useful purpose except to confuse.

On the subject of the trains, I deliberately said many routes NOT all.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,839 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

>>>It really isn't. Its the name on papers when deciding TOCs, its not in practical use for passengers and serves no useful purpose except to confuse.<<<

Absolutely. To any overseas visitors to the UK, please don't think that the term InterCity will be found on any marketing material. You won't see it on timetables, websites, station departure boards, or on trains.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

I think we all know what we're talking about when we say "intercity". The term is used by lots of people- it's all over RailUK forums.

>>On the subject of the trains, I deliberately said many routes NOT all.<<

You said the 225s were "gone" from many routes. They are not gone, they are still very much in service on the same route they have always been.

As for the 125s, where were the routes they were used? The Great Western Mainline, the Midland Mainline and the East Coast Mainline. They are still in use on all of those

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

I think we all know what we're talking about when we say "intercity

---

That's simply not the case. TA gets a lot of very basic questions from visitors and even UK residents about using railways in the UK. Pointlessly adding an additional term which has no practical or real use to the passengers simply adds to an already confusing network. Why add confusion for no benefit?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

How else are you going it distinguish between a TOC like East Coast and one like Southeastern, for example? There is a clear difference in what to expect from those two services.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

By looking at the individual TOCs. Because you are assuming there is clear stereotypes, there isn't. For example even with a TOCs services can vary dramatically on the same route depending on day of the week and train.

Intercity is meaningless as there so much variation across TOCs.

I'll say again, its a pointless term that does nothing except confuse

Edited: 2:36 pm, February 04, 2014
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,839 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

GEJP is talking a lot of sense. Regardless of any colloquial use, to use the term here is only going to confuse visitors. That's not really the purpose of Tripadvisor.

The answer to the question I originally posed about an official definition of the term InterCity apeparsa to be no, there isn't one.

29. Re: First Transpennine First Class Service (Mcr - York)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 06, 2015