We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

peterborough
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

Hi ya. I am off to York for a weekend for my anniversary. I was wondering about decent restaurants / and drinking bars around Bootham ./ Gillygate as this is where we are staying.

Thanks for your help

Debs

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,444 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

You're not far from the Three Legged Mare (a York Brewery pub) and the Guy Fawkes Hotel. The latter has a decent bar with a nice beer garden/courtyard. They also serve food.

Sorry I can't be of any help with any other places, e.g. bars as opposed to pubs, or proper restaurants.

York is actually quite small and very walkable, so I wouldn't worry about focusing on places to eat and drink right next to where you are staying.

peterborough
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

oh thank you. I have never been to York. So wasnt sure what to expect. We like to watch bands and beer pub rather than the dance music.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,444 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

Two other York Brewery pubs worth checking out are the Yorkshire Terrier and the Last Drop Inn.

There's also the Roman Bath, the Duchess, and Fibbers for live music.

And another pub, the Bluebell is suppesed to be a good place to check out, but I haven't been there - yet!

I'm going to York on a pub crawl with a couple of friends in April and we're going to try and get to a few pubs other than the ones owned by York Brewery which I always seem to head to. There's nothing wrong with any of the York Brewery pubs though - the brewery makes some impressive ale and I've always enjoyed going to their pubs.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

The hop on fossgate is new, very nice. Bluebell is ok, but the landlord has upset people by putting a sign up saying closed for private party when it's not ( think it got left out of the camra this year because of this). Also try pivni, York tap on the railway station and house of the trembling madness are all good.

Also should add that i think the hop has live music on on a Saturday evening.

Edited: 6:21 pm, January 29, 2014
York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
896 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

Gillygate is really not that far from the city centre - so best not to restrict yourself just to that immediate area.

Gillygate / Bootham area: Cafe No.8 for excellent food on Gillygate. Perky Peacock for excellent coffee on Gillygate.

Just around the corner from Gillygate on High Petergate - Lamb & Lion - nice pub with best beer garden in York and also 3 Legged Mare (known as Wonky Donkey) - good beer.

Walk down past York Minster into town and the area around The Shambles you've got Duke of York on Kings Square and Pivni on Patrick Pool - superb world beer bar in 14th Century building. Just down on Fossgate is The Hop - lovely big pub with live music every night and wood fired pizza oven. Also on Fossgate leading onto Walmgate - 14 restaurants of all kinds - take your pick of different world cuisine.

For lively bars / clubs - on Swinegate - Biltmore is probably the best, with Banyan just around the corner next to Bobo Lobo. The chilled out Sotano - an excellent downstairs bar next to Banyan is my favourite - open at weekends usually until 3am

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
95 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

If it was me I'd go for the Lamb and Lion. Nice ale and a beer garden with views of the Minster. All the others mentioned here are pretty good too though!

7. Re: Bars in York around Bootham / Gillygate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2015