We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional food near Monkbar

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional food near Monkbar

I'll be visiting York next week with my 85 year old mother, staying at the Monkbar hotel. She can't walk too far, and, like many of her generation, likes plain food, (steak pie, mac & cheese, fish and chips, chicken, NO fancy sauces!) She is not comfortable in the 'bar area' of a pub. An ante-room off is fine though! I remember lots of great pubs around the Monkbar last time I stayed there, but I can't think of any where she could eat in a separate area.

We could just eat in the hotel, but I think that would be a waste when there is so much else on offer.

Can any of the experts out there suggest anywhere? Many thanks!

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
859 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional food near Monkbar

The nearest decent pub is the Royal Oak, Goodramgate - a few yards from your hotel. They have a nice back lounge with a dining area. A little pricey but good food. http://www.royaloakyork.co.uk/

A little way on (20 yds) is the Cross Keys who do good plain but decent pub grub and it is big enough for you to be able to dine away from the bar. nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecrosskeysgoodramgate…

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional food near Monkbar

Thanks a lot. I'll check these out.

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional food near Monkbar

One day time possibility is the National Trust Restaurant at Treasurers House behind the Minster (but their cafe next to the gift shop in Goodramgate is now closed). You do not have to pay for entry to use the restaurant.

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional food near Monkbar

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Will check this out too.

5. Re: Traditional food near Monkbar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 21, 2015