We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

Using the AVIS web site I booked a car at their York Railway Station location and arranged to stay at a hotel nearby. To my horror I learned on arriving at the Station, that Avis has no collection point there. After wasting 30 mins trying to look for AVIS I called the company and an operator explained that the railway station housed a 'virtual Avis office'. I was told to take a taxi to another address, outside of York, where I could collect the car. AVIS used 'York Railway Station' as a ruse to attract clients - in fact their rental location in York is a good 15 minutes away.

This is misleading and a waste of time!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,838 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

When you arrive at York Railway Station, Avis would ask you to transfer to our location at 3 Layerthorpe Rd by taxi.

Your rental car will await you there and Avis will refund the cost of the transfer journey to you. York Railway Station and Avis 3 Layerthorpe Rd are a short distance apart.

avis.co.uk/CarHire/…York-Railway-Station

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

Yes, indeed, after searching in vain for AVIS at York Railway Station I called Avis and they told me to take a taxi to the place where their rental outlet is really located. Why mislead clients into believing the car rental office is at the Railway Station when it isn't?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

OK you may have a point but it does state very clearly on their website that the rental location is not at the station and they give the address and will pay you for the taxi there. An it is hardly "outside of York"

Quite often when you rent a car at an airport there is a shuttle bus to take you there. Often its further away than this location is from the station. So by your logic all those companies should not tell people that they are at the airport then?

For instance I am renting a car next week at Edinburgh airport but I read where the company are located off airport and am quite happy about that.

Fairly obviously you didn't read your rental contract and now you want to blame Avis.

Sorry but it's a fairly weak argument and certainly would not make me avoid Avis in York

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
713 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

Sorry, york station is large, but not that large that you could spend that long looking for an avis office. In future read your rental agreement properly.

Should this even be on the forum? if it's a review, it should be posted on the review bit.

Edited: 11:53 am, September 06, 2013
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,570 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

The information about the actual location of the rental office seems quit eclear and prominent on the website page as linked to by Alanrow.

I also agree that in principle this is no different to renting a car at an airport, where the office may not actually be anywher eenar where the traveller will arrive.

I'm afraid that I cannot agree that this is a ruse or misleading, and any waste of time is entirely due to not reading the information that Avis provide. It is certainly no reason to avoid using them.

Level Contributor
83 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

As far as I am aware, only Europcar have an actual office in the station and their pick up point is within walking distance (unless they have the car brought round for you).

7. Re: Avis Car Hire - York - avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 10, 2014