We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

newcastle
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

Hi

We are visiting York Races next week and spotted on the website that a 3 course lunch is available in the Gimcrack room for £26,

Just wondered if anyone had tried this and whether you'd recommend it, was there a choice of menu etc,

Thank you for your help

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

The catering at York racecourse is first-class and you will get a good lunch in the Gimcrack restaurant with a good choice though I don't know what menu they will be offering. However, at the Ebor meeting it will be absolutely packed, especially on the 21st and 22nd August. Top tip - get there early, around noon, then you can have a nice lunch without too much hassle and be finished in good time for the first race.

Personally, I'd forego lunch in favour of their fabulous afternoon tea (from 3 pm) but you may be lucky and not have to watch your waistline! Why not try both?

newcastle
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

I was definitely thinking of trying the Afternoon Tea so I might just save myself for that, our train gets in just before noon so we'll be at the track by 12.30ish,

Thank you very much for your reply

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

The food is really (and surprisingly) good. But it will be crowded so can you send someone on ahead to bag a table. I can't remember if you can reserve by phone or email.

Unfortunately once people have got a table for lunch they tend (well we do) to hang on to it for tea too.

But it's well worth the effort.

newcastle
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

It might be possible to jump on an earlier train so will look into that, I'd be tempted to linger around for the afternoon tea too given the chance, seems really good value given that you both agree that it's decent grub, looking forward to it, been a three years since our last trip to York races

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
857 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

Forgive me stating the bleeding obvious - are you aware that it's only available to County Stand badge holders. Cost of County Stand entry is £50.50p online or £54 on the day plus of course the £26 for your meal.

I'm sure you are aware but just checking in case...

Edited: 10:27 am, August 16, 2013
newcastle
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

Yes we've got the county stand badges, we usually just do the Grandstand and Paddock but thanks to a Racing UK prize we are in the posher end this time, thanks for pointing that out though

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
857 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

Excellent - it's great way of getting excellent food (and lots of it) instead of having to pay £300 - £400 per person for the Ebor or Voltigeur restaurants. You're sure to have a great time...

Edited: 2:02 pm, August 16, 2013
8. Re: Gimcrack Restaurant at York Races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 18, 2014