We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a room with a view in York

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a room with a view in York

Good afternoon,

We will be staying in York for a few days during our upcoming trip to England. I would like to stay someplace with a view, if at all possible. I found one guest house right on the River Ouse - does anyone know of other places along the river? Or in your opinion, is it worth it to book something along the river (it does come with a bit of a premium)? I'd like to stay close to the centre - within a 10 minute walk. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

I don't know about the river, but the Dean Court has rooms with the views of the Minster (it's on the opposite side of a small road) you can book: http://www.deancourt-york.co.uk/index.asp

I've stayed there myself (but not in any of those rooms). It's very centrally located; probably one of the best located hotels in York.

2. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:28 pm, August 01, 2013
Edited: 3:28 pm, August 01, 2013
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

A view of what? Most hotel rooms have windows, so all will have a view, but it may not necessarily be the view that you are wanting to see.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Very funny. I have not been to York, so I'm not sure what it has to offer. I wondered if I might find a central place with a pleasant/interesting view. If someone were to stay in Toronto (for some odd reason), and wanted a nice view, I am sure I could come up with a few places...

I found a place on the River Ouse that looks nice, but wondered if there were other places as well. Google maps doesn't help much when trying to find accommodations in specific locations.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
737 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Depends what you want a view of really. The river is nice, but I'm not sure if I would pay a premium for it. I would rather have a view of the Minster, or other bits of mediaeval York. Where exactly have you been looking. York is tiny and the centre is very higgly piggly and close packed so your view will vary as to where you are.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Yeah, I can see now it was a bit of a silly question. :) It's fine - I'll probably stay at the Abbey Guest House, on the river. I'm not sure which hotels have a view of York Minster (someone mentioned a Best Western, but for many reasons, I'd like to stay in a home of some sort), but I wouldn't mind that either.

Not to hijack my own thread, but since you're an York Destination Expert, can you tell me when the bells ring at the York Minster? I believe I read that it's every day, but is it at a specific time? Just curious...

Thanks!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

The bells of York Minster ring during daylight hours but not at night. They mark the hour and then the quarter hours with from one to three chimes. Ringing a full peal (that is the prolonged ringing of all the bells going up and down the scales) is usually confined to services or special occasions. You could probably find out from the information desk in the Minster when this is likely to be.

The sounds can be heard in the city centre; bells are best heard in the open air.

By the way, other churches in York also still ring their bells; All Saints, North Street, (down by the river), famous for its stained glass, has an enthusiastic team of ringers.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

I've always considered a vew to be immaterial since I'm travelling to a place I've never seen before, and as such would be too busy out seeing the sights to be spending much time in my room. It just seems a bit odd somehow to be worried about the view from your window when you've spent all that money to get there - at such expense, you want to spend time in your hotel room looking at a view???

Canada
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

The Park Inn by Radisson is on the banks of the Ouse so I assume that some rooms might have a view.

The Hilton overlooks the York Castle

The Marriott has some rooms with lovely views over the Racecourse (which is prettier than you might imagine)

Outside the city a bit is the Middlethorpe hotel and spa which is set in beautiful grounds...

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Vicki, you're absolutely right. Thank goodness you showed up.