We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York visit 15th September

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
York visit 15th September

Hi

Me and the Mrs are visiting York 15th & 16th September staying in travel lodge York Central can anyone suggest any good pubs close by with entertainment on (band singer etc)

Also any good restaurants nearby

Thanks in advance

Bluenose

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York visit 15th September

As far as pubs are concerned, don't miss the Blue Bell. It's on Fossgate where you'll find some of the best restaurants too. It's a cute little place with real ales, it used to be quite highly regarded in the CAMRA guide but they've recently had a little dispute with them...the less said about that the better.... but it's nice for atmosphere. Also, the Golden Fleece which is just around the corner and then the Three Tuns on Coppergate which is along the street from the Golden Fleece (come out of the door and turn left)

Just try to avoid the weatherspoons attached to the Premier Inn almost opposite to you. I can't think of anywhere that will have live music, I suppose it depends what you're after but the pubs don't really tend to do it.

What kind of food were you looking for? I could probably help more with that!

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York visit 15th September

Food-wise - you won't go wrong with the Masons Arms which is over the road from your Travelodge, good hearty food and huge portions. http://www.masonsarmsyork.co.uk/

Lots of pubs do live music in York but not many on a Sunday - it tends to be Tues - Sat. Lucky for you there's a cracking pub that does real ale and live jazz on a Sunday called The Phoenix - a short 5 min walk from your hotel.

Wetherspoons below your hotel is OK for cheap drinks but there are many better places nearby. A short walk up Piccadilly to Parliament St and you're near to Pivni which is a great real ale and craft beer bar. Nearby you've got Swinegate with a variety of bars and clubs. Oscars and Stonegate Yard are good for Tex- Mex based food. Sotano is a great basement bar which is good for cocktails - open Sunday but not Monday. Banyan is a huge new bar and restaurant next to Sotano.

Macumba is an upmarket bar based in the beautiful historic Barley Yard down an alley between Swinegate and Stonegate. On Stonegate many people go to the really quirky House of Trembling Madness - a 15th century pub above The Bottle off licence.

Edited: 9:16 am, July 25, 2013
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York visit 15th September

Yes, Masons Arms, very good food and man sized portions.

You could also try Loch Fyne Fish restaurant which is about a 5 minute walk up Piccadilly or if you decide to push the boat out what about trying the Blue Bicycle which is close by on Fossgate

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York visit 15th September

AVOID LOCH FYNE!! It is just a chain restaurant after all, and if you want cheap fish cooked badly then you could get that in your nearest city. You will walk past at least 10 better restaurants on your way from the travel inn.

I'm really not sure why one of the previous posters has recommended the Mason's Arms as it is in the wrong direction for you (presuming you're going to want to head into the centre of York and not hang around the outskirts) and the food isn't very good. It's a pub that is trying to play up to the tourism thing (think mock tudor) and doing it badly.

Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York visit 15th September

The punch bowl on stonegate and the roman bath has live music on

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York visit 15th September

ange - it would be far more constructive to stick to recommending places than resort to slagging off other people's choices. You personally may not like the Masons Arms but many people do and it's a few yards from the Travelodge and not out of the way as you seem to allude to. Your bearings seem to be awry anyway as you refer to a Premier Inn that doesn't exist! There is no Premier Inn down Piccadilly opposite the Travelodge and actually no Wetherspoons in York is attached to a Premier Inn.

People on Tripadvisor respect other's recommendations even though they may not necessarily agree with them, otherwise it gets into an unseemly tit for tat slanging match.

York
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York visit 15th September

Regarding live music - with the greatest of respect, I think the local "York expert" who said "I suppose it depends what you're after but the pubs don't really tend to do it." looks to be a bit out of touch.

York has a thriving pub music scene, even on the road that I live on Goodramgate 5 of the 8 pubs do music every week - Royal Oak, The Habit, Olde White Swan, Snickleway, Golden Lion. I can certainly think of 20 other York pubs that do live music.

On a Sunday evening specifically - Waggon & Horses and Kennedy's do live music...

Doncaster
Level Contributor
306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York visit 15th September

We were in the Three Legged Mare a few weeks ago (on Sunday 7th July to be precise) and there was a band on. Very good they were too - they were called the Jam Jars. Up near the Minster.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: York visit 15th September

Hi Bluenose - we stayed for 3 nights at this Travelodge, very noisy both at the front & back - best to go further out of town. Parking 6.50 GBP for 24 hours in a very rough carpark about 2 minutes walk. On a one-way street. We ate at the hotel, very poor choice - not into bands or pubs, so I cannot comment.

Enjoy your stay.

10. Re: York visit 15th September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:29 pm, January 22, 2015