We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Arrangements to York

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Arrangements to York

I am excited to have a business trip to York in early September. I live in San Francisco, so I'll be flying direct into Heathrow. I believe the best way to get to York from Heathrow is by train. Any travel suggestions or information about the train ride (travel time, etc) will be appreciated.

I'm hoping to get some time to see the town while I'm not working, and after my business is done I'm going to take a few vacation days and do the tourist thing in London!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,713 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

To get from Heathrow to York:

Firstly, get the Underground Piccadilly Line, which will take you straight to Kings Cross St Pancras in about an hour. Cash fare is £5.50.

Trains to York, operated by East Coast, depart regularly from London Kings Cross and take around 2 hours. You can buy tickets in advance at a reduced rate, however these tickets are not flexible so may not be ideal if you are coming off a flight.

If you can claim travel expenses, I would wait until you get to Kings Cross and buy your ticket there for the next train out. If you are travelling Monday-Friday between 08.00 and 15.58, or after 17.45, you can get an off-peak return which will allow you to return to London on any train up to a month later, so long as it isn't timed to arrive before 10.08 Monday-Friday. There are no restrictions on Saturday and Sunday.

www.eastcoast.co.uk

Edited: 11:53 am, July 18, 2013
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

Not a lot I can add to wirewiper save that if you are travelling at peak times it is often a good idea to buy your ticket in advance so that you can book a seat. For example late Friday afternoon there can be a lot of people trying to get on that train and two hours is a long expensive stand

York, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

It all depends on your budget. wirewiper has is right but if you are on generous expenses and want to live a little I suggest the following. Heathrow to Paddington on the Airport Express - quicker and less hassle than the tube but costs more. Taxi from Paddington to Kings Cross for the connection on East Coast or Grand Central to York. The fastest trains take just short of two hours. I suggest that you DO book in advance. There are certainly UK web sites like National Rail (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/) which can give you all the timetables and links to fee-free ticket bookings. If you are up for it book 1st Class with a seat booking to be sure of some space and a passable meal on board.

A lot depends on the time of day and the day of the week. But if you can allow for transit time between Heathrow and Kings Cross, then booking in advance is advisable. Fares vary from about GBP100 to GBP213 for a first class return.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

You can book an Anytime or Off-Peak ticket in advance, and it will come with a seat reservation, but you aren't committed to travelling on that seat if you are delayed. You can travel on any other permitted train but will not have a seat reservation. There are always seats left unreserved, but that does not mean there will be enough for everyone.

It's only "Advance" tickets, which is a specific ticket type, that is valid on the booked train only.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

I'm a regular on the east coast main line and I can only reiterate what has been said- book a seat if you are traveling 2nd(standard) class because these trains get very busy. 1st class is usually ok, if you want an economical 1st class "turn up and go" ticket look for Grand Central trains. These are quicker too, doing Kings Cross to York non stop in under two hours.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

>>You can book an Anytime or Off-Peak ticket in advance, and it will come with a seat reservation, <<

Only if you request one.

>>These are quicker too, doing Kings Cross to York non stop in under two hours.<<

The quickest EC trains are about the same time, or slightly quicker.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

< I suggest the following. Heathrow to Paddington on the Airport Express - quicker and less hassle than the tube but costs more. Taxi from Paddington to Kings Cross for the connection on East Coast or Grand Central to York. >

1) It's the Heathrow Express

2) "costs more" mean around £25 more once you take into account the taxi fare

3) "less hassle" - how is getting on the Tube at Heathrow, getting off at Kings Cross less hassle than HEX to Paddington, walk to taxi rank, take taxi - especially if arriving at Paddington before 9:00am on a weekday when tens of thousands of commuters will be around, some of them wanting a taxi.

4) "Quicker" - about 10 minutes quicker

As an alternative for OP consider flying to Manchester via a European hub like Frankfurt or Amsterdam then take a train from the airport to York (many with no change needed). This avoids the need for immigration at an intermediate airport, you won't have to go through the hassle of getting to a train station an hour from where you land (plus an hour for immigration, plus "oops" time, you can get an Advance (type of) ticket safe in the knowledge that if your flight is late you will be able to get train station staff to mark your ticket to travel on a later train

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

Oe. Manchester via Atlanta with Delta or Philadelphia with US

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

You can also fly from heathrow to leeds airport in about 40 minutes (as you're already at the airport). The problem is getting from leeds bradford airport to York as you have to go into leeds and then bus/train it to york. Quicker to prebook a hire car to collect you from leeds bradford airport for the 20 mile journey.

10. Re: Travel Arrangements to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 pm, January 22, 2015