We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on York itinerary?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on York itinerary?

My son and I will be arriving in York by car mid-afternoon on Tuesday 20 August and will be staying for three nights at The Groves.

Things we would like to do/see are:

> National Railway Museum

> York Castle Museum

> York Minster

> The Shambles

> Eden Camp

> Drive to Goathland then steam train to Whitby and back

> lunches or dinners in an atmospheric pub

Can you offer advice on:Y

> is it possible to do Eden Camp and the Railway Museum comfortably in the one day?

> if we arrive mid afternoon from Cambridge, could we visit The Shambles and York Castle Museum before closing time? What time do the shops close along The Shambles?

> how long would it take to drive from The Groves to Goathland? I'm thinking of catching the 12:50 pm train to Whitby, then heading back almost straight away, arriving back at Goathland at 2:50 pm. The visit is for the steam train ride experience (rather than to see Whitby) and we would like time in Heartbeat country, as my son is a big fan.

> looking at the nymr website, pre-booking a train ticket doesn't appear to guarantee a seat. Is there likely to be a problem with buying a return ticket at Goathland station on the day? There seems to be a small discount if we buy more than 5 days in advance, but if the seat is not guaranteed, I don't see much point.

Any additional tips for our time is York would be most welcome. From here, we will head up to Edinburgh on Friday 23 August for the Tattoo that evening.

Thanks, everyone!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Yes you can visit the railway museum and Eden camp in a day.

I don't understand why you are driving to Goathland to catch the steam train if it'e the train experience you want? Why would you not catch it from Pickering?

It will be very busy as you are travelling at the most popular time of the year although a week day is better than a weekend.

It's a great shame you won't see any of Whitby on your current plan. Great place! If I had to visit Goathland or Whitby I know where I'd be spending my time!! Goathland will be thronged.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Hi Morgana

My thoughts on driving to Goathland were to give us more time and flexibility there, rather than being tied to the train timetable. As mentioned, my son (who has a mild disability) is a huge Heartbeat fan (as well as trains, war history, police etc!) so much of my planning is about finding things that he will most enjoy. I thought a couple of hours on the steam train would be enough. The timetable means we leave Whitby at either 2:00 or at 6:00. I don't know that 4 hours walking around Whitby would be best for us, although probably great for most others ;-)

Earlier in the year, I was wrestling with this question on TA, and thought this solution was a good compromise. Maybe not? You know how it is when you try to make everything perfect - you drive yourself crazy!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Ah yes, don't try and make it perfect! I can see 4 hours might be too long in Whitby. And I confess to never having watched a single second of Heartbeat so the attractions of Goathland are lost on me. But this is your trip not mine so follow your instincts as they are likely to be correct.

Reading your last comments I wondered if your son would enjoy the very good Air Museum at Elvington just outside York. Very different to Eden Camp. It surprised us just how much we enjoyed our visit there - loads to see and do and not many visitors when we were there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Thanks for your suggestion, Morgana. We were planning to visit the IWM Duxford when we are in Cambridge. Is the Air Museum at Elvington comparable/preferable?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

No - stick to Duxford! If you had lots of time it might be different but your time in Yorkshire is limited.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Your itinerary is quite full, but because of your son's interests, have you heard about the York cold war bunker? Just outside York, in Accomb. The guided tour lasts about an hour. Check the tour times before you go as if you arrive just after a tour has started, you will have an hour's wait outside. It is small but fascinating.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186346-…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Thank you for the suggestion, FIZnLIL, but we'll be in York midweek and I think the bunker is open only on the weekend :-(

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

sorry!

Another thought, if you are driving to York from the South, would you have time to stop in Leeds on the way to visit the Royal Armouries? If your son likes war and history - perfect! Admission is free but you might have to pay for car parking.

http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds

Edited: 10:52 am, July 04, 2013
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

To answer some of your outstanding questions:-

Shops in the shambles normally shut at 5.30pm Mon-Sat with many closing earlier on Sunday and/or opening later.

Castle Museum shuts at 5pm.

And to re-iterate a warning given earlier I'd avoid driving to goathland on a weekend as traffic at this time of year (if a good day) could be gridlocked from York to Goathland and take hours each way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on York itinerary?

Anne - I've read through your itinerary and it looks like you have three days' worth of activities to fit into a two day stay in York, unless you were not planning on making an early start on your journey to Edinburgh.

Edited: 5:05 pm, July 04, 2013