We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Registry office York

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Registry office York

I'm hoping you can help me please, I am getting married in August at York registry office and there will only be the 2 of us. The registry office have categorically said they will not provide witnesses but have said that we should be able to get someone on the street outside. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has done this in York?

I am worried that we won't be able to find any witnesses on the day and that I will be stressed about it therefore ruining the occasion. maybe it is silly to just want the two of us but it is how we want to do it. We will be there on holiday so won't know anyone in the area.

Has anyone else found random wedding witnesses in York and can share their experience with me?

Thanks in advance for your help. xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Registry office York

No Register Office (note the correct term) will provide witnesses for any couple intending to marry, so people may have experiences of finding witnesses up and down the country. Therefore, you may be limiting responses by posting on the York forum. That said, I would doubt that 'experience' could stretch much beyond 'we stood outside and stopped people as they passed' and that perhaps older people are an obvious first choice (the time that people have available to help you will be an overriding consideration, I think).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Registry office York

No Register Office (note the correct term) will provide witnesses for any couple intending to marry, so people may have experiences of finding witnesses up and down the country. Therefore, you may be limiting responses by posting on the York forum. That said, I would doubt that 'experience' could stretch much beyond 'we stood outside and stopped people as they passed' and that perhaps older people are an obvious first choice (the time that people have available to help you will be an overriding consideration, I think).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Registry office York

At risk of another duplicated response, another idea comes to mind. As you say you will be on holiday in York any way, have you considered asking people where you will be staying - I'm thinking owners or staff here, rather than other guests? If you are staying in B&B perhaps you could approach the owners now to see if they would be willing to act as your witnesses, or if they know of people who might be prepared to help.

Goole, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Registry office York

I work about 5 mins from the Office on Bootham, pm me your details and I will give you my mobile, just call me and I will get out of work for 20 mins and witness for you.

Or the foot traffic outside the reg office is constant so don't worry about witnesses someone will do it for a slipped tenner lol

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Registry office York

What day and time? If I'm about I would love to be your witness

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Registry office York

Hi. I notice this was August last year. So firstly Congratulations! The reason I looked at this thread is because my fiancé and I are thinking of doing exactly the same. So I'm curious to know how you got on? I hope your day was special.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Registry office York

Hi. I notice this was August last year. So firstly Congratulations! The reason I looked at this thread is because my fiancé and I are thinking of doing exactly the same. So I'm curious to know how you got on? I hope your day was special.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Registry office York

The register office is on Botham which is one of the main types into the city consequently there are lots of people pasing by. If it's a weekend I would happily come along and do this for you

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Registry office York

The register office is on Botham which is one of the main roads into the city consequently there are lots of people pasing by. If it's a weekend I would happily come along and do this for you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Registry office York

Thank you for your message and congratulations.

In the end I have to say we didn't opt for this option as it seemed too stressful. You probably already know that the register office won't provide witnesses and their suggestion was either bring your own or ask 2 people off the street. We decided that it might be a bit too stressful on the actual wedding day hoping that 2 witnesses could be found last minute from the street. However in hindsight it would have worked out fine. As a result of putting my question on Trip Advisor I had a couple of people say they worked round the corner and would be happy to be our witnesses. Unfortunately the offers were a bit too late as we already made other plans but I think if you post a similar question you will probably get the same response.

In the end we opted for Manchester reg office as we don't live far from there and we had my husband's best friend and his wife as witnesses. They were sworn to secrecy and it was just the 4 of us and it was the perfect day.

I hope you have a great day whatever you decide.

Karen