We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Walls and old streets

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
City Walls and old streets

Hello,

I'm visiting York as a day.trip for London in mid-July - will have about 6 hours between trains.

The main reason for my visit is York Minster (as I'm a Cathedral-buff!), plus the City Walls, the Shambles and any old streets.

As I probably won't have the time (or strength) to walk the whole round of walls, could you please suggest me which are the nicest portions (e.g. better preserved, surrounded by nice old buildings, or enriched with owers and/or beautiful gates), I should not miss?

Also, any particularly noteworthy and pictoresque old street you'd like to suggest?

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
28,836 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Walls and old streets

Actually it does not really take too long to walk around the walls in York, and it is time and effort worth spending, IMO...

http://www.daleswalks.co.uk/walks/walk32/

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Walls and old streets

Hi EssexWanderer, how long would it take approximately? If it's about 1 or 1,5 hours, then it would be fine for me.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Walls and old streets

This link might be useful

http://www.daleswalks.co.uk/walks/walk32/

Difficult to say how long it would take as there's much to see - but I would also agree it is time worth spending.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,836 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Walls and old streets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_city_walls

As it is 2.5 miles and most people walk at 4mph then theoretically it coild take 37.5 min, but......

Some of the links in the wiki will help you...

Edited: 5:41 pm, June 09, 2013
Bradford
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Walls and old streets

My favourite section is the part that passes nearest to the Minster - from Monkgate to Bootham I think

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
859 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Walls and old streets

You could walk the whole of the walls - depends what time you want to devote to other things given what little time you have at your disposal.

The 2 best walks for me you could take straight from the train station. You turn left out of the station over the bridge and up to the lights at Micklegate Bar. Walk the walls back to Lendal Bridge. Walk over Lendal Bridge and turn left and go past the Theatre Royal and then walk the walls from Bootham Bar around to Monk Bar. You can then walk from Monk Bar to York Minster - 5 mins.

Stonegate is a good old street and there is a snickleway (narrow passage) halfway down that takes you past the Barley Hall into Swinegate and from there onto The Shambles.

Edited: 7:50 pm, June 09, 2013
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Walls and old streets

Hey, thanks all, that's very helpful!

It sounds like it takes a lot less than I feared to do the whole round of walls, so I'll most probably do it!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City Walls and old streets

An excellent reply, covering the most picturesque part of the walls and the famous streets and snickelways. But surely the questioner needs to turn RIGHT out of the Station to walk over the bridge up to Micklegate Bar, in order to "begin" the walk.

9. Re: City Walls and old streets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 12, 2014