We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in York for family of 3

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay in York for family of 3

Hello, we are passing through York on our way to visit some friends. I would very much appreciate your suggestions on how to spend most of a day on a Fri, a place to dine and a place to stay. One night for a family of 3. We will have a car so we don't have to stay IN York but it would be nice as our time there is limited. I don't know if this bit of information helps but we are meeting a couple at Michaels Bistro in York on that Saturday for lunch. Until that time we will have most of Friday, Friday evening and Saturday morning to visit around town and would very much like to spend our time seeing York and not so much time in transit.

Thank you for your help, this is our first trip to England visiting friends we met in college and we are trying to squeeze in some side trips where we can. York is one of those trips!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

Have you tried the Novotel? It's not exactly plush but the family rooms are fairly large.

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

Thanks QWZS! We temporary have a place at the Holiday inn but really want a taste of the historical places. The Middlethorpe has availability but a bit pricey. I'm still looking and keeping my fingers crossed!! I have sent emails to the Grove, Hedley House, Skelton, Beechhouse, St Denys, Gillygate and Alexander! It seems all these place can potentially be booked due to the Horse races.

So my next thought is somewhere outside of York with historical appeal...any suggestions? Harragote? Acomb, Roklington...I'm only looking at a Google map and see these names so I have no idea of distance from York.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

Acomb is a suburb of York. Harrogate is nice upmarket spa town. Ripon might be an option. Pickering is nice as a gateway to the moors. Whitby is a small coastal village that is lined to dracula!

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

So what do you think: Hedley House or Novotel? Both have good reviews, which has the better location for walking to and from for dinners and pubs?

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
868 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

Novotel is good - stayed there and it's handy for York and the restaurants in Fossgate / Walmgate and assorted city centre pubs on the decent side of the river (i.e. not Micklegate)

16. Re: Place to stay in York for family of 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014