We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week in york... trip report

Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
week in york... trip report

So having visited the city of York twice last year my partner decided it was his turn to choose our holiday and as he's a keen carp angler he decided we should have a fishing based holiday (my heart sank!!!) Luckily for me he is useless at arranging anything so left me with instructions to find us a nice cabin at the side of a carp lake to stay in for the week. Well I found the perfect compromise,, a lakeside log cabin in none other than my favourite city,,, York :). We arrived at York Lakeside Lodges (2 miles from the city centre) at 4:20pm and were greeted by the owner who showed us our lodge. We only spent 2 days in the city centre as my OH wanted to fish (he didn't catch anything and blamed the time of year). The first day we went into town was on the Tuesday and we caught the park and ride bus from outside Tesco's which was a 5 mins walk form our cabin and took around 10 mins to reach micklegate. Our first stop was ye old starre inn on stonegate for lunch, which was lovely we had a few drinks in there then pressed on to the shambles where my partner spent way too much money in the sweet shop. We then went to the golden fleece for a couple. We then had a nice walk round the Minster and into the guy fawlkes for another drink. We made our way back to stonegate and went to haunted 35 (a must do for me but not sure the MR agrees sure I heard him mutter "not again" on our way over). We had a couple of pics taken with the purple man outside then headed into the evil eye lounge for a couple of evil sunrises before heading back towards the Minster for a taxi.

We returned on the friday with the intentions of just buying cheese (he always takes his grandad some of that mouldy cheese back) from the market and grabbing a quick bit to eat, we got our cheese then went to the punch bowl. I have to say It was the first time I'd eaten there and I found the dining room a bit cramped but the food was lovely. Although after here we ended up in the evil eye again, then the guy fawkes, then countless of other pubs and didn't get back till 8:30pm (we went out at 1.00pm!!) Needless to say the cheese went in the bin. But that's why I love York,,, there's just sooo much to do... (Although most of our to do's are pubs!!!).

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
York Lakeside Lodges
York Lakeside Lodges
180 Reviews
York, UK
York Minster
York Minster
12,541 Reviews
York, UK
york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: week in york... trip report

If you haven't been in house of the trembling madness is great! We also like the last drop inn.

Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week in york... trip report

I have to say I have never been in there,, looks like it will have to go on my list of must do's next time. We did go into the last drop inn and I should have put that in my report because it was one of my favourites.

3. Re: week in york... trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 18, 2014