We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

We (my wife and I)are staying at Thornbury Castle (close to Glouchester) then we need to determine the best way to get to York the following morning. Time is the most important factor to us. We would like to leave Thornbury at 9:30 or 10: in the morning so we can enjoy breakfast, but we want to make sure we have time to explore York in the afternoon.

Is renting a car the best option?

Is there a "taxi" type service that could transport us? (this would be awesome!)

We know we can take a taxi from Thornbury to Bristol then catch a train, but that sounds like a cumbersome and time consuming process....but it may be the best option -

Hoping someone will

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

Car will take you longer than train. Quite honestly leaving at 10am will is unlikely to get you to York for early afternoon by any means of transport

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

I would definitely go by train. Get a taxi from Thornbury to Bristol Parkway station (or a bus, every hour and takes ~40 minutes - http://www.southglos.gov.uk/Documents/Bus%20timetables/312%20sept%2012.pdf) and then a direct train, which takes 4 hours. Add in half an hour for the taxi and you're looking at 4½ hours door-to-door. Depending on how far ahead you want to travel, train tickets for the 10:30 from Bristol Parkway can be yours for as little as £50 each.

Google Maps reckons it will take you 3½ hours to drive, plus rest stops, so it's unlikely to be a whole lot quicker – and then you've got the hassle of hiring a car and returning it in York, which will mean going via Bristol or Gloucester anyway (I can't see any national hire firms that have a branch in Thornbury), adding a lot more time to your journey. One-way hires are always expensive so you'll be paying through the nose, petrol will be about £40, it's not a pleasant or relaxing drive through the West Midlands, East Midlands and South Yorkshire - lots of very congested motorways.

I really can't think of any advantage that hiring a car would have over getting a train!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

If you want someone to drive you all the way I'm sure a local taxi firm could be persuaded with liberal application of money - I'm thinking £250 to £300 minimum but that's a pure guess.

3.5 to 4 hours given no bad holdups

Edited: 6:03 pm, May 07, 2013
York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
829 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

Driving from Thornbury during a weekday will need 5 hours setting aside to be very certain. There are pinchpoints in the traffic around Birmingham and then again when the A42 joins the M1 that will significantly delay you. I have driven this route from Bristol / Thornbury to York many times.

By far the best idea is to get the train from Bristol Parkway to York WITHOUT ANY CHANGES in only 3hr 50mins. Get a taxi or bus from Thornbury to Bristol but make sure you negotiate a fixed fare.

5. Re: Best Transport Option to get from Thornbury to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 10, 2014