We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

Hey guys I'm booking a train into York and I'm being offered the York PLUS BUS for an extra £3. Is it worth it--does it get you around all the decent spots in York?

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

It is only to get you to your destination, not to travel around town during your stay, so unless you have a single bus journey cosing more than £3 it is not worth your while. Central York is easily walkable, buses go mainly to the residential suburbs, and the ticket does not apply to the tourist open top buses.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

PlusBUS offers unlimited bus travel within the area of validity and on participaring operators' buses, on the day of train travel, so you can use it for multiple journeys around town.

…itoworld.com/plusbus/zones/YORK.html

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

Not sure you would need plusbus, the Centre of York is compact and easily walkable from the station. If you did find you needed/wanted to use a bus you still have the option of paying the driver.

Goole, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

Seriously you do not need the bus to get around York, most of it is easily walkable, and it is a nice City to walk in. Just get off the Train and walk easier and cheaper.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

I used the bus myself but I've got no idea on cost as I've used my bus pass, but I don't think a return would be more than £2.50 sometimes these plusbus tickets are more expensive than a normal ticket.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

About the only place I can think of that isn't in walking distance is the racecourse.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,164 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

PlusBus cna be very good value. It covers a large area of Swansea, for example, including Oystermouth and Mumbles, as well as parts of the Gower Peninsula.

As for York, as others have said it is easily walkable, and the railway station is pretty close to attractions such as the National Railway Museum and the Minster. I wouldn't bother myself, unless I wanted to use it to travel to some of the outlying areas rather than the city centre.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

York's bus network is really aimed at commuters anyway - unless you have a burning desire to visit the suburbs or a hotel a bit out of town, there's not much point.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

If I bought it which suburb or attractions do you recommend to go aground?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: York PLUS BUS / alternative buses

I would recommend you do not visit visit any suburb - stick to walking round the centre and the walls