We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobility scooter and shops in York.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
mobility scooter and shops in York.

Please can anyone tell me if a small ( 19 inch wide ) mobility scooter would be allowed in shops like Marks & Spencer, Browns, Debenhams , British Home Stores etc, I am visiting York shortly for a holiday, I know York well from previous visits, but, at that time I did not have to use a scooter, I am a very careful driver ! although I can walk shortish distances with the aid of a stick, I would be concerned about leaving the scooter outside the shop in case it got stolen.

Any other advice about York and mobility scooters would be welcome. many thanks.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

many thanks for your replies. which have been helpful.and made me aware of the difficulties. I do not have a car so have to rely on a relative to provide transport,to places within a 100 mile radius of where I live, so that means that I am rather restricted in choice, ,but, thank you for your suggestions and thank you for your good wishes orbitalgirl.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Have you asked if you can take your scooter on the train? Some train companies do allow them onboard, unfourtanetly most bus companies don't allow them, it just depends on operator I think but I think pirority is always given to wheelchair users on the wheelchair space.

Also, you may qualify for a disabled persons railcard this can give you a third off most train journeys and discount on first class tickets as well, search google for disabled persons railcard but I do recommend this as I do have one myself and the discounts are a great help.

If you can give me a rough area of where you live, I will see what I can do to help with suggestions as if I have been to the area I might be able to give you an idea on the access front.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

jdtaylor,thank you so much for all your help and advice . much appreciated.

14. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 24, 2014