We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Just looking to take some friends and their children to the races in York on opening day (August 20th) but there are a lot of ticket types to chose from - some with champagne, some with a "Mad Hatter" tea, others that are just seats or premium seats. Our friends are fantastic people so we'd like to do something nice for them - what would be the best all out seats for the races - with the best possible view - close enough to the action, but comfortable as well. Best possible overall view - if you wanted to arrange the best possible experience for someone, which seats would yo book? Any tips here would be great. Many thanks!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

The thing about British racecourses is that you move around. You might try to nab a table in one of the restaurants that one of the party hang on to but otherwise you wander to the parade ring, down to the bookies or the Tote, take a seat in the stand or hang around near the winning post.

The Knavesmire is one of my favourite courses so do have a great time.

Have you heard of Dick Turpin, the highwayman and his horse Black Bess? He was hanged at the Knavesmire - it was York's place of execution (but not recently).

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Crikey! The Ebor meet is one of the most prestigeous flat race meets of the year!!

If your friends love racing, don't muck about with daft "Tea or Champagne" packages, just get into the course and be free to do what you want inside!

I would go for tickets for the Grandstand and Paddock, or possibly the County Stand, and work from there...

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

PS, children up to a certain age have free entry to the course, but guess you have spotted that, if you have been reseatching on the racecourse website...

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Great replies and my favourite part was " it was York's place of execution (but not recently)... : )

What is the Ebor meet (and where/when is it?). I've been looking at opening day for Thirsk as it plays in well with our itinerary - could you please tell me more about the Ebor and how it would compare to the events at Thirsk? I would like to do my best to treat our friends to the best day possible at the races - they love racing, and I know nothing about it at all, coming from overseas, where it is not nearly as popular and publicized.

Also I am wondering about Thirsk - there is a pirate's family day, and there is race opening day - is there anything else going on? These are the only August dates I can see on the website - if you could only go to one race day in and around York this August (between about the 18 and the 21/22), where would you go?

About the seats, the only options I can see on the Thirsk site are for boxes, or for the "wandering" around tickets. So are you saying that the wandering around tickets would be better than the panaromic views from the boxes? They have a younger child so I'm just wanting to avoid giving her the "I've been dragged around too much feeling..." However, she might feel the opposite - trapped inside a box seat.

So I'll skip the tea and champagne, but what about the other snacks? Last time we visited the UK we went to a few outdoor plays and a polo match and we felt very empty handed coming without a basket or anything to have for our supper or lunch - the box does offer a catered lunch, but it sounds like maybe we should skip the lunch, and also skip the box too.

We do wish to treat our friends with some type of gift - it would be great to give them a stunning view ticket to the best possible race in the area during our travel dates so any other suggestions would be super.

Many thanks for your kind replies...

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

yorkracecourse.co.uk/racing/fixtures/welcome…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebor_Festival

http://www.ebor-festival.com/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Thirsk is, indeed in Yorkshire

However, you said York races, and York is a different city and Racecourse all together.

The "Opening Meet" at Thirsk is 20 APRIL, not August, as you have also said in your OP.

thirskracecourse.net/downloads/1548_Poster_A…

http://www.thirskracecourse.net/

No wonder wemare all confused......

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

I used to go to the opening day of Ebor at York for many years. Always went in the grandstand (early). Got some seats but as a large group including kids it allowed some to relax while others waiting in line at the bar. If the weather is good you can wander out to the finish line and place a bet at the many course side bookies.

Remember if you decide to go into the county stand or boxes then strict smart dress code applies.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Mommy_barbie - FYI there's a lot of racecourses in Yorkshire including York, Ripon and Thirsk. York holds the biggest races though.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

Indeed EW - you are correct - I completely misread the Thirsk site and the 20th is in April. Pirate's Day however, is still on for the 19th - I'm just not sure how serious the racing will be that day...

Anyways - I'm a little embarrassed but I want to thank you EW for saving me a costly mistake.

Looks like I'd better go back to the drawing board and check out the race schedule around York and area for the month of August. If anyone knows of any races which would form a particularly pleasing race experiences in the area during that month please let me know. If you can comment on pirates day as well, it would also be appreciated.

Dare I even ask about football in August??

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Race Tix - Aug. 20/2013

If your friends are real Racing buffs, then take them to the Ebor Festival at York, first day is 21st August, with the Juddmonte International as the big race of the day (won by Frankel last year...)

If you have many kids to entertain, then maybe the Pirates Day at Thirsk....

If you have other dates at your disposal, you can check for Race Meets on the website of the British Horseracing Authority, here

britishhorseracing.com/goracing/racing/fixtu…