We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

Connecticut
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

I've done due diligence and read many forums on this question and I am confused. My 18 y.o. son and I are traveling from Edinburgh to London with an overnight stop along the way. 1. We would like a scenic route. I see 4 train companies (East coast, National Rail, Scotrail and Virgin). Is this a single train company with multiple suppliers? If not, which are preferable? 2. What would be the most scenic route? 3. Any recs. on a nice place to stay for a night and part of the next day? Ideally, we would get off at York, look around for a couple of hours then end up in a quaint village for a pint and B&B. Any suggestions? 5. Do we have to buy separate tickets for each leg of the journey? On East coast the fare from EDB-LON is 29.# The fare from York to London is 23#. This is not cost effective (for me). Is there a layover grace time? I THINK that's it. Thanks

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

1 & 2. National Rail is not a train company; it is a brand name used by the 2 dozen or so operating rail franchises that make up the British rail system. East Coast, Scotrail and Virgin are 3 of the member companies. Scotrail operates within Scotland. Its only routes to london are the overnight sleeper trains. Virgin operates on the so-called West Coast Mainline. East Coast operates on the so-called East Coast Mainline. The latter is marginally more scenic than the former. Only East Coast serves York.

3. No idea how you would just happen to end up in a quaint village. Rent a car, I suppose? I`ve stayed in York all 3 times that I have visited there.

5. Yes, especially if you are buying the ultra cheap advance fares (which you appear to be doing given the prices you quote later). I believe there are same day stop-over flexibility if you buy full fare tickets, which cost £125.70 or £152.00 for journeys to London.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

Ideally, we would get off at York, look around for a couple of hours then end up in a quaint village for a pint and B&B

-------

Sounds pretty impractical to me especially with your attitude to relatively low cost tickets (since you'd have to pay for a taxi both ways from York to said quaint village) so why not aim for a quaint pub and b&b in York?

Note that apart from a couple of minutes a couple of times, the route really isn't that scenic and this phrase is IMO much overused on this route and expectations raised unreasonably.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

If you want a quaint village outside York I'll recommend the following (all within 5 miles of York) Escrick, Dunnington, Askam Bryan, Askam Richard, Bishopthorpe, Stillingfleet. Some you can get to via public bus from outside York station but be aware many public bus services finish at 8pm-10pm.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
282 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

I personally would spend the night in York- it's beautiful. If you buy the cheaper tickets in advance, these are valid for a specific train, and that journey only, so a lay over would be impossible without incurring a cost. If the cost is the thing driving this- it'd be cheaper not to stay in York at all and fly via a budget airline from Edinburgh to London. (I recently found this out when attending a hen w/e in Edinburgh)

Edited: 11:01 am, February 19, 2013
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

Agree about staying in York - it's a gorgeous place with loads to see and stopping off for two hours won't really achieve anything apart from you wishing you could stay longer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
295 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

Hi

If you are travelling by train then a good place to visit or stay overnight would be the Bar Convent Museum which is only 5 mins walk from the train station. It was the oldest convent in England and is now a museum and hotel. You will find more about it onthe Internet. It is really beautiful inside and has a lovely garden. There was a wedding on the day we visited. You can walk into town along the city walls.

Enjoy your visit.

7. Re: Train from Edinburgh w/sightseeing en route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014