We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Festival

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Viking Festival

Hi all

I'm coming up to York for the Viking Festival 16th -18th Feb, any suggestions on what not to miss ?

I've checked the Tourist Information website and there is not a great deal on there. I've heard the Vikings arrive by longboat, but no info on that on the site

Thanks

Jess

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking Festival

try the York Archaeological Trust website as they run the event. There is a comprehensive leaflet availbale when you get here from TIC, not sure if on line also. Quick run down from leaflet is 16th "Coppergate Camp, Eye of York Encampment, Hidden York with Mick Aston (a free finds handling event)" all free. 17th "as above plus Ray Cooper at Barley Hall (cost £14) described as a Scottish/Swedish folk singer. 18th Coppergate Camp, Meet the experts, Historical Arts & Crafts, Have a Go sword combat, strong man challenge for children, festival combat arena: violent vikings (£3 at Guidhall) Festival walking tour (£4 from Micklegate bar) Viking Boy and Valhalla with Tony Bradman and a film at City Screen "Thor".

No longboat arrival mentionned (the River tends to be too high in February!), only apparent major event is the "spectacular finale" with battles near Clifford's Tower but this is on the 23rd February, and a Viking feast night on the 22nd.

I suspect some tightening of belts, as for us all!!)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking Festival

Hi,

Do you mean what not to miss in general or as part of the Viking Festival? Most of the 'big' viking things are on during the closing weekend but you can find a list of events here

http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/events/

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking Festival

Robin .. thanks for the link, very interesting

Ange, thanks for that too, maybe we should have booked for the closing weekend, I know the usual sights in York but all suggestions are welcome

Thanks again

4. Re: Viking Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 08, 2014