We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamie's Italian

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jamie's Italian

Hi, sorry if I'm repeating a question but I need help! Please.

I'm planning a romantic break for me and my girlfriend, night 1: I plan on doing something fun like a ghost walk and a Cosy night in a pub like; the house of trembling madness or the guy Fawkes inn. 2nd night is most important, I'm looking to book a nice restaurant which is modern, great food, cocktails and busy. Choices include, the living room, all bar one, piccolinos and Jamie's Italian. I really fancy Jamie's Italian but have read mixed reviews, I was hoping someone could maybe give me an insight on the popularity of these places around 8pm.

Hope this makes sense, I can't possibly research much more.

Thanks.

Dan

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamie's Italian

What night of the week would night 2 be? If it's a Friday or Saturday then I would expect all of those places to be busy and would probably book a table in advance. They will be quieter through the week though.

I haven't been to Jamie's Italian, but I've heard mixed reviews too. Of the places you've mentioned I would recommend Piccolinos or The Living Room. The Living Room has a bar as well where you can go just for a drink, where as I think Piccolinos is just a restaurant. Both are very nice.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamie's Italian

Firstly thank you for your reply, Yes it's a Friday. We have been to the living room before an it was very nice. Jamie's Italian is somewhere new but the reviews are putting me off. I've managed to book tables for both at 8pm.

Do you know if there is any nice cocktail bars near to Jamie's Italian?

Thanks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamie's Italian

Actually, Jamies Italian do some nice cocktails, including one cucumber martini, if I'm right and is still available which we've had in Cambridge. In regards to the Living room, watch their food, Oxford was dire not good at all, and I would say you'd be better off at Jamie's than the Living room from what I've experienced elsewhere.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamie's Italian

Thanks, we've been to the living room in York and Chester they both was "ok" but the atmosphere in both was great which I personally was drawn too. I think I'll Jamie's kitchen is possibly winning at the minute unless anyone can recommend any other York gems to visit with a price range of up to £100.

As I said, I'm looking for somewhere popular, modern, nice food, cocktails.

Thanks for your reply!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamie's Italian

You could try Bobo Lobo or Vudu Lounge for cocktails before or after your meal.

Have you looked at the Biltmore? They do good food in a nice restaurant overlooking the bar, and also sell cocktails.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamie's Italian

I have seen the biltmore however I saw they have a resident dj after 9pm which probably isn't the best setting for a romantic meal. I'll check out the other places thanks!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamie's Italian

Haha, yeah I just noticed that after i posted my last comment. Such a shame as it's a nice bar, but I've only ever eaten during the day or started drinking there earlier in the evening. Oh well!

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamie's Italian

Thanks though! I will keep an eye out for some quirky bars.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamie's Italian

We went to York 2 years ago and went to some of the places you mention. I can recommend House of the Trembling Madness, it's a MUST DO for beer selection, the food looked good AND reasonably priced too.

We went on the Viking Tour and really enjoyed that. The guide is a good laugh and full of information about the Viking influences in York.

In the evening we ate at Rustique. That was ok.

Whatever you do you must book restaurants in advance. Good places are booked up at the weekends.

Everything we booked (accomodation/restaurants/things to do) were all off Trip Advisor and we weren't let down. Have a great weekend.

Edited: 7:46 am, October 16, 2012
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamie's Italian

Thank you for your reply! Last time we visited we went to the museum and spent a couple of hours there and it was brilliant, there was a prison exhibition on which was really interesting.

This time I'm going to book a ghost walk and judging by a few reviews and images I've seen trembling madness will be a definite.

Thanks!

Dan