We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Hi,

We are actually interested in dining at Rustique restaurant in Castlegate road, when we visit York in December, which is very near to the hotel we stay (Hilton York).

But does anyone knows whether they are open on 26 Dec as they do not provide email address for us to contact and we are based overseas with time difference.

If not, is there any nice restaurants nearby that you can recommend?

Speaking of which, will the shops in Shambles open on 26 Dec as well?

By the way, how's the weather in England as a whole? Will it be very very wet (ie huge rains or just light drizzle?) or snowy? What type of clothing should we wear?

Hope to hear from your advice and thanks in advance.

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Rustique email address is www.rustiqueyork.co.uk and from their website it looks like they will be open at Christmas

Yes to all your suggestions for Christmas weather in York, it will be any of these, all of these, or none of these. It could also be sunny, foggy or stormy. No-one knows in advance. it will likely be "warmer" if wet, "cooler" if clear and sunny with day time temperatures usually between 0C and 10C (but rarely it can be up to 15C or down to below freezing) and night time below freezing (if clear) or above (if wet). Any snow more usual in the New Year but in recent years there has been snow as early as November, . In other years, no snow until Easter! Snow often melts after a few days but again there are rare exceptions where snow is on the ground for days or weeks!

It will be warm in shops and restaurants so ensure you wear layers. You may well notice the shorter hours of daylight, about 9am to 4pm, but darkness adds to the atmosphere

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Rustique email address is www.rustiqueyork.co.uk and from their website it looks like they will be open at Christmas

======

Are you new to the internet Robin? Thats not an email address.

Manila
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

@Robin27: Joeintheuk is right. :). I have been to their website to check for their email address but none was shown on their website. Only their address and telephone number. But big thanks for the weather advice.

So again,

1). does anyone knows Rustique Restaurant's email address or whether they are open for dinner on 26 December as we don't want to end up going there and they are closed. And since we are a big group of 10 (with 2 elders of 70+ yo and children of under 6 yo) and visiting York I holiday season, I see it necessary to plan and book where we are having meals as bringing big groups walking down the street to find places to eat can be quite difficult, worst when the weather is not cooperating.

2). Is there any other nice restaurants that will be open on 26 December for dinner near Hilton York? Just in case if Rustique's is closed.

3). Are the shops in The Shambles will be open? What is the opening hours of shops in York?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

There's this on their privacy page - 'Our contact email address on privacy matters is: info@rustiqueyork.co.uk'.

It sounds like they don't want booking requests via email, but they may make an exception given your circumstances. Considering they get booked up quickly on normal days, I would recommend booking asap for any date around Christmas.

Ate O'Clock is close to the Hilton, and very nice. Although it looks like they don't take bookings via email either!

Some shops will be open on Boxing Day, but not all. You may find it's mainly the big chain shops that are open, some of the local ones may still be closed for Christmas. Although a lot of people start their January sales shopping early so some may open to take advantage. The Shambles is still nice to see without going in the shops though.

Manila
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

@ Becky C_28: I did saw their email at the "privacy" section and tried to email info@rustiqueyork.co.uk but the mail was returned to me saying "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently". But thank you for your advice.

Anyone has any other ways of contacting them through email? I just need to know if they are open on 26 Dec 2012 dinner so that I will not make any bookings on other restaurants as we really want to try our Rustique.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Try postmaster@

Every domain is supposed to have a valid postmaster address.

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

no, just getting senile!

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

not sure if the shops in the shambles will be open on boxing day as they are small and independent, may I suggest that you look on this website insideyork.co.uk/what-to-see/shambles.html and maybe thy will have info on nearer the time

as for rustique? no idea sorry but they are open Christmas day

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Hi,

I just rang them now and unfortunately they are not open on Boxing Day. :(

They are open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day though.

They don't take bookings over email, but if you're really set on going there during your visit I'd be happy to make the booking for you. Just let me know the details and I'll give them a call :)

Manila
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are restaurants or shops opened on Boxing Day (26 Dec)?

Dear BeckyC_28,

Thank you so much for your effort and kind assistance! I appreciate if very much.

It's a pity that we will not be able to eat there since we will only be in York for an overnight stay during Boxing Day. Perhaps another time.

Again I really really appreciate that you even bother to help us contacting them to inquire on your behalf and even offered to book for us. It's good to know that there's still many nice people out there willing to help. God bless you. :)